Deciding on a Builder for new Construction

Jul 4, 2020
Austin, Tx
We have narrowed it down to two builders. One is a large chain in Texas and the other is a smaller company in the area, but been in business for over 10 years. One major difference is the elevation they are recommending. One is only 6 inches and the other can be up to 18inches as our yard has a small slope. Is only 6 inches from the ground a standard practice for a 14,00 gallon pool? Also below are the specs of the pool. Is there anything we should look at changing or researching more. Both of the companies have quoted out the same equipment. Also one company states it has a 15 year warranty on their plaster and the other is only 5 year. They both use PebbleTec.

Pool Size: 32'2"x17"10", 85ft perimeter, 423sqft and pool depth 3.5ftx 4.5x6.5
Spa: Round 22ft perimeter, 3ft depth
Total Gallons: 13,789

Only difference is how far they have to dig down. Our pool will be about the same size and at ground level here in Houston. I'm guessing in your area it is harder to dig than our soil and they are factoring the cost of elevating vs the cost of digging. Either will probably do whatever you want if you tell them.

Search for the companies on Reddit, here, Yelp and a few pages deep on Google.

Wish Yelp reviews had been posted on Cantera Pools before we signed the contract. Turns out the small local company that's been in business for years is really a full-time firefighter who builds pools as a hobby. We're on day 412 and our PB hasn't been out here in 34 consecutive days. If your PB won't even show up to finish the work when they're getting paid, the free warranty repairs will probably never get done.

I hope your build goes much faster!

One major difference is the elevation they are recommending. One is only 6 inches and the other can be up to 18inches as our yard has a small slope.
I’m not sure of the elevation that you are referencing, but our builder shot our pool level at the same elevation as our house foundation. And by pool level, I mean the level of the coping, not the water line. 🙂

That turned out to be the right thing to do, as our pool is the only one on our street that hasn’t flooded during some heavy rains. That includes no flood water getting into our pool. While others have struggled with mud and all kinds of debris in their pools during heavy rains, ours has remained clean. We went with a higher-priced builder with a solid reputation and are glad we did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.