Deciding between a Stenner pump with an ECON-T (timer pump) for dispensing a predetermined amount versus a system like the Pentair Intelllicenter

jmb

May 26, 2011
Windsor Ontario Canada;SW Ontario near Detroit, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I am trying to decide between a Stenner pump with an ECON-T (timer pump) for dispensing a predetermined amount of liquid chlorine versus a system like the automated Pentair IntelChem system.

My concerns with the Pentair IntelChem are that I have read many negative comments about it; but they appear to be related to its use with salt water systems. There seems to be problems with the probes, accuracy and also complicated to set up and manage.

We only have to add muriatic acid about 4 to 6 times a season so we do not feel a strong need to have an automated system for dispensing muriatic acid. The liquid chlorine has to be added daily.

We were advised not to go to a SWG system due to the age of our pool. It was built in 1975. It was suggested that the newer pools are built with materials to withstand the corrosive elements of the salt. I was advised that this was the case even though we have a vinyl lined pool. This company indicated that they carefully evaluate pools prior to installing SWG systems as they have run into complications using them with old pools that were not designed for use with SWG systems. They highly recommended sticking with liquid chlorine and consider an automated dispensing system. They sell both systems so not sure they have a vested interest one way or the other.

Would love to learn more from those with experience in using an automated system for dispensing liquid chlorine; (and, possibly for dispensing muriatic acid) We are looking for the simplest and most reliable options.

If you do not have Pentair automation or a Pentair IntelliChlor there is no reason to get the Pentair IntelliChem. Get the Stenner pump with an ECON-T (timer pump). But for adding acid half a dozen times a year I think you will find the annual maintenance on the Stenner pump more trouble then it is worth.

Reactions: jmb
If you do not have Pentair automation or a Pentair IntelliChlor there is no reason to get the Pentair IntelliChem. Get the Stenner pump with an ECON-T (timer pump). But for adding acid half a dozen times a year I think you will find the annual maintenance on the Stenner pump more trouble then it is worth.
I may have the terminology wrong re the Pentair. If I go with Pentair I would need the tank for the chlorine along with the Pentair automation system. My primary interest is an automatic system for dispensing chlorine. I am just learning about Pentair's system and it looks like with that system you would be looking at a complete system for dispensing liquid chlorine and muratic acid with a fully automated system.
The Pentair system seems more complex than what I need.
I was originally considering the Stenner pump with timer when it was suggested that I may want to consider the Pentair system.
Can you please explain the maintenance required for the Stenner pump with timer for liquid chlorine? Is there more maintenance involved if you were going to add a separate Stenner pump for the muriatic acid?

I installed a Stenner pump and ran it off a timer. Worked great! I had the chlorine in a 15 gallon tank sitting on the ground. It was big enough to hold about 25 days worth in my 12k gallon pool. Your pool will need about 3x what I needed.
I choose the Stenner because I feel it is a more robust pump made for industrial applications. I don’t have any experience with the Pentair products, but the IntelliChem wouldn't be my first choice. Many have had issues with the probes not giving accurate data. Either way, you will need a tank to hold the chlorine.
I personally like the Classic Single Head Fixed 10gpd. It’s simple, ON/OFF, without electronics. Can control it with a Woods 50015 outdoor timer. 7 day timer, multiple on/offs daily, down to the minute. Set the timer to when and how long and the Stenner will dose the pool for you.

Reactions: cpp80 and jmb
I installed a Stenner pump and ran it off a timer. Worked great! I had the chlorine in a 15 gallon tank sitting on the ground. It was big enough to hold about 25 days worth in my 12k gallon pool. Your pool will need about 3x what I needed.
I choose the Stenner because I feel it is a more robust pump made for industrial applications. I don’t have any experience with the Pentair products, but the IntelliChem wouldn't be my first choice. Many have had issues with the probes not giving accurate data. Either way, you will need a tank to hold the chlorine.
I personally like the Classic Single Head Fixed 10gpd. It’s simple, ON/OFF, without electronics. Can control it with a Woods 50015 outdoor timer. 7 day timer, multiple on/offs daily, down to the minute. Set the timer to when and how long and the Stenner will dose the pool for you.
Thank so much for your reply. Was your Stenner pump protected in any way? i.e was it under a shelter of some sort or protected with some typeof cover ?. Just wondering if it is ok to keep it completely outside or does it need some protection from the weather? We do not have a pool shed. All of our equipment is completely exposed. We bring in what we can in the winter; i.e, pool pump and motor. Also what maintenance is required for the Stenner pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.