Decided on new gunite pool construction - PB says no to SWG b/c no warranty and short lifespan of equipment(?)

Then tell them to just leave extra room in the plumbing on the equipment pad and you’ll do it yourself. It’s not hard to do and if you’re not comfortable with it you can hire a plumber or handyman to do it. Part of the reluctance might also be scarcity - SWG’s became very popular the past two years especially with the pandemic surge in pool builds and suppliers have not been able to keep up with demand. Even pool builders are having a hard time getting equipment. So they may be trying to offer you what they have in stock as opposed to what you want. But fight for it or tell them to just leave you the space and you’ll do it later. You’ll need about 24-32” of straight PVC pipe right after your heater (assuming you get one) and before any return valves. Most SWG owner manuals have installation guides showing the required plumbing setup.

And, when you tell them not to bother and you’ll do it yourself, they hate that because they’ve lost the argument. Some of them will make up BS about how they’re not allowed to build you a pool without proper sanitizing equipment installed because of “code” but that’s nonsense. As I said, your money so your pool, you get want you want or else they can go take a walk …
That's great advice as well thank you. Do you all recommend ozone or UV? My limited knowledge is that the stuff doesn't really work the way it sounds and is not necessary.

That's great advice as well thank you. Do you all recommend ozone or UV? My limited knowledge is that the stuff doesn't really work the way it sounds and is not necessary.

Garbage. Don’t bother. An outdoor swimming pool gets plenty of UV already and the ozone generators sold for swimming pools are toys. Neither is necessary nor useful.

Reactions: IceShadow
As Mcow noted the equipment should be under manufacturer warranty if purchased/installed together with the swg. How long would your builder warranty the equipment if you didn’t do swg?

As for us while we did not get extra warranty we did get an extra small option if we ordered all the equipment together according to builder.

Also every builder we met with was fine with swg. None ever mentioned any issues with swg.

Just spoke to our top consideration PB, he said SWG may corrode and you may have to spend $3k to replace some things sooner than expected. Said in Arizona SWGs are fine bc you don't need a heater. Also, said SWG will affect the auto cover hardware. There's no truth to any of this right? Is the standard Pentair heater going to have issues? The autocover is a thing I hear over and over again but I don't see any proof of that here. Said out of the hundreds of pools they built and service only 9 have SWG.

Salt maintained in proper levels (3000-3500ppm) is in no way going to damage a heater or any other component or material used in your build. Improper Calcium Hardness and pH are more likely to damage a heater than salt ever would! Personally, I would run from that builder. They don't have a clue what they're talking about...

I do not know about an autocover. We haven't had any issues with the gas heater. Our builder made it sound like salt and chlorine were the same thing.

Also none of the builders charged for a quote except one who did want $50 to do a quote and rendition. We passed on a quote but I do not think it was unreasonable.

@YippeeSkippy has a SWCG pool with auto cover. Let’s ask her how much damage she sees.
I saw her thread from some other time and it seemed like she has no issues. Cover-pool provides the same warranty for salt water it seems. I was going to call them and get their thoughts but overall it seems ok. This PB said they'd do it just that they don't recommend it but who knows.

Hahaha …. “Because you don’t need a heater in AZ😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 … clearly that PB has never been to Arizona. My kids have turned hypothermia Smurf-blue from the evaporative cooling that happens when you get out of cold pool water and the relative humidity is 10%. I use the heater a lot in the shoulder months to warm up the water and run the attached spa so the kids can warm up.

I have had a heater installed on my pool since Day 1 along with an SWG. Going on 10 years now with no leaks except for an tiny o-ring on the drain plug that dried out and cracked.

Trust nothing they say and verify EVERYTHING. Get what YOU want, not what they want to build.

Hahaha …. “Because you don’t need a heater in AZ😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 … clearly that PB has never been to Arizona. My kids have turned hypothermia Smurf-blue from the evaporative cooling that happens when you get out of cold pool water and the relative humidity is 10%. I use the heater a lot in the shoulder months to warm up the water and run the attached spa so the kids can warm up.

I have had a heater installed on my pool since Day 1 along with an SWG. Going on 10 years now with no leaks except for an tiny o-ring on the drain plug that dried out and cracked.

Trust nothing they say and verify EVERYTHING. Get what YOU want, not what they want to build.
This forum is amazing :) I immediately talked to him and came here to verify everything. Don't seem to see any issues with SWG it's all voodoo as far as the concerns they bring up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
he said SWG may corrode and you may have to spend $3k to replace some things sooner than expected
Nope. Not right at all.

Said in Arizona SWGs are fine bc you don't need a heater
Wow, wrong on two points in one statement.

Also, said SWG will affect the auto cover hardware.
Nope.

There's no truth to any of this right?
Again, nope.

The autocover is a thing I hear over and over again but I don't see any proof of that here.
I have an auto cover with a SWCG. Personally know two others in my neighborhood with them (same climate and area as you), no issues. Lots of folks here with the auto covers and saltwater pools, no issues with the salt.

When you mentioned ozone, I maybe just realized he is one of the builders with the incentives to put that junk in, so of course he needs to come up with reasons to talk you out of a saltwater pool. Funny thing is, how much can the incentive really be in comparison to the profit on pool building? Either way, the garbage he is throwing at you to talk you out of it is just that, garbage. Let's hope he builds a better pool than an argument against salt water.

For the record they will install it they just don't recommend it b/c of the false issues he mentioned. I am still getting additional quotes and curious if I'll find someone that's actually excited about me wanting a SWG!

Are the auto cover companies basically the same? Any specific one people tend to want?

OP, if I were to do it again I would

Spend time drawing designs, lots of them, measuring, colouring, and imagining you pool in the yard. Have mates over for dinner and get their thoughts. Sit on that for a bit as design is very important to being happy. What you see others don't, and vice versa.

Once settled on size, shape, position, and where the filtering will go. Spend time working out exactly what brands and MODELS of gear you want. From skimmers box size to pool covers to standard or deluxe pool lining. Yes its exciting but gets laborious. However the lads on here can fast track it once you know your volume.

All the time keep asking around for small time builders, maybe less than 15 builds a year. I found house builders, excavator drivers, pool shop owners are a good source of who built THEIR pool.

Then get quotes as you have apples to compare, and you focus on how the relationship goes through the quoting process.

You still have to hang on and hope, but have a better chance. And probably write of 18 to 24 months form go to wow.

Unfortunately I found the builder I was chasing after pulling the trigger on who I went with.
I found my guy lied about his number of builds, and quoted me brands but no model, or models only available through his wholesaler who don't deal with the public. Of course they would do the job but just. They keep it low spec to be competitive, and then if you want do a variation to up spec or change the item out comes the price gouging. My fault I guess for being too trusting and eager. They know its an emotional purchase so say yeh to whatever you are asking then quote you ?

PS, down here in Australia most pools are salt water with gunite shells and pebble finish. All good mate.

PSS, if you are not planning on staying for a long time, consider an above ground pool for 10K. Usue it for a decade pending age of kids, then roll it up and take it to the dump when done. Its heaps cheaper, easier, faster; just not as aesthetic or potentially value adding.

For the record they will install it they just don't recommend it b/c of the false issues he mentioned. I am still getting additional quotes and curious if I'll find someone that's actually excited about me wanting a SWG!

Are the auto cover companies basically the same? Any specific one people tend to want?
Ask the PB why does Pentair, Jandy & Haywood - the 3 biggest pool equipment suppliers - design and sell pool heaters, filters, pumps and SWCGs - all with warranty (most require a “professional” to install). If these products wouldn’t work together as a complete system, then they would not be selling them under their brand name. Demand what you want and find a PB willing to work with you.
Don’t buy a UV or ozone system.

Reactions: Jaffles
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.