Debris in Sight Glass

Jun 24, 2011
Montgomery, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have owned my home for almost three years. This year I am trying to do the pool maintenance myself. I have a Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter & the rate is 20 GPM/FT2. For the past two years there has been sand in the sight glass. Now when I backwash I see debris such as bits of leaves, sand, and other things.

I have not changed the sand on this filter, and I do not know if the sand was ever changed before I bought the house.
I brushed, vacuumed, and backwashed today. Should this be of concern to me?

What you are seeing is normal for a sand filter. It is all of the junk that the filter has removed from the pool water and is now being removed from the filter during the backwash cycle. How much sand are you seeing? You shouldn't see much, if any, sand unless the filter has been overfilled with sand.

Regards,

Jay

griffths said:
What you are seeing is normal for a sand filter. It is all of the junk that the filter has removed from the pool water and is now being removed from the filter during the backwash cycle. How much sand are you seeing? You shouldn't see much, if any, sand unless the filter has been overfilled with sand.

Regards,

Jay

Great answer, Jay! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.