Debris getting around skimmer basket

Tjb0012

May 18, 2019
MA
I’m a fairly new owner of an in-ground pool (came with the house) and have noticed that a lot of debris (leaves, frogs, etc.) gets around my skimmer basket and sucked into the pump basket. This is very frustrating because I have to clean the pump basket daily. I’ve deduced that the reason this happens is because there is a plug in the bottom of my skimmer (on the pool side) that is not set below the open hole on the deck side that connects the skimmer to the filter. The skimmer basket is not able to sit flush on top of the open hole, which allows debris to enter under the basket. My main drain has an independent line to the filter, which is why I believe the poolside hole is plugged. Can I remove the plug so that the basket will sit on the bottom of the skimmer? Or are there any aftermarket parts/extensions I can buy to shim the basket off the bottom of the skimmer? I’ve attached some photos.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 7D65E7ED-FE1B-4192-8448-D973DC98138E.jpeg
    7D65E7ED-FE1B-4192-8448-D973DC98138E.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 85E513F5-446B-41BF-BB1C-DFAA8A20110A.jpeg
    85E513F5-446B-41BF-BB1C-DFAA8A20110A.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 24
Hi, welcome to TFP! It looks like you have a standard clean-out plug in the opening. You can check with your local pool store and see if they carry low profile pool plugs. The should fit almost flush with the bottom of the skimmer. You can definitely order low profile pool plugs on-line if you cannot find a local source.

They look like this: flush skimmer plug.jpg

Does the basket bob up in the water? Can you push it down and hold it there but it floats up on its own? If that is the case try putting a small but heavy rock in the basket to hold it down.

I wonder if that basket is the correct one? Just take a look at all the various baskets on the market... can you find any manufacturers details on your skimmer that might help determine if you have the correct basket?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.