Dead Skin Flakes in Softub

Cybergy

May 23, 2014
Whitby, Ontario - Canada
I had a friend visit for a soak in the Softub a week ago. She got a sunburn on a recent vacation and as I found out she had a lot of skin peeling off. Now my My ex-friends skin flakes are kind of suspended in the water. Too small to pick up in the skimmer net. And the Softub has an odd bottom-mounted filter that is not picking up much of it.

- Can I use a flocking agent?
- Enzymes maybe?
- panty hose across the hand skimmer?

Also, is a filter worth cleaning/soaking/TSP disinfecting or should I just replace it?
It doesn't look dirty, but it's probably been in the tub for 6-12 months of operation at least.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Yes nylon panty hose will help filter the water and you can get a kitchen strainer also.
Don't add any new chemicals, chlorine will take care of it eventually.
I always keep a spare clean filter and switch the old one out after a month. I clean the old one with a hose then soak it in a bucket of diluted bleach solution.
How often do you drain your tub, it may be time. Here read this.......Spa Soup: Why We Dump Spa Water - AQUA Magazine

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
A few skin flakes alone should not ruin a friendship.
Have you heard of the bodies "microbial cloud"?
"Humans emit upwards of 10[SUP]6[/SUP] biological particles per hour, and have long been known to transmit pathogens to other individuals and to indoor surfaces. However it has not previously been demonstrated that humans emit a detectable microbial cloud into surrounding indoor air, nor whether such clouds are sufficiently differentiated to allow the identification of individual occupants."........Humans differ in their personal microbial cloud