Dead Pump?

David0408

Oct 16, 2017
San Antonio, TX
So I ran my pump all morning and then shut it off for the afternoon. It never came on in the evening. I went out and flipped the switch and it just hummed at me.The motor was hot to the touch. The impeller is free spinning. I tried tapping the motor, resetting the breaker, and cursing at it. I think it’s time to replace it. Anything I should know in this regard? Any recommended place to buy a new one or a super discount coupon that I’m not aware of? My motor is a A.O Smith CAT B129. I’m thinking about replacing it myself as it seems pretty straight forward. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Probably a bad capacitor.

Why do you have such a big pump?

You probably don't need that much horsepower. If you replace the motor, I would downsize the motor and impeller.

How old is the pump and motor?

What exact pump do you have?

I was just able to get it running by manually turning the impeller once it started humming. Bad capacitor.
I don't know why the motor is so big. Just always replaced it with whatever was on there before. Didn't know any better. Should I go smaller?

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_234818.jpg
    IMG_20191005_234818.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20191005_234749.jpg
    IMG_20191005_234749.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 10
I decided to go buy a $35 capacitor and call it a day. I will look into a smaller pump for when I need to replace it. As always, thank you very much for all the assistance. I remember the dark days before I discovered this community. Very grateful knowing I can always come here to solve problems. Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.