Dead or dieing Intex SWG........replacement advice?

Nov 12, 2015
Davenport, FL
Hey, we have a 20' X 4' Intex pool that is a couple of years old. The ECO SWG is showing low salt almost everyday. I've read that usually means it is dieing or dead already. I can pick up another one pretty cheap, but wondered if there is a better replacement setup? We are probably 2 years out from going inground, so really only need to keep things going for that time frame. Currently we have a large Hayward sand filter and 2hp pump that does a good job moving water. Just need to keep the chlorine up.

"OD", let's try to get you some answers. Yes, there are several SWGs on the market, but since you plan to change pools in a couple years, are you sure you want to invest in something now if the new pool requires a different SWG size? I suppose you could get the appropriate size now for the new pool then just transfer it over later, but figured I should ask.

Just to confirm something though .... with the current low salt, can you confirm the following:
- Last time the SWG was cleaned?
- How are you testing the salt level?
- What is your water temp?

Sometimes those things throw-off the SWG indicator a bit.

Thanks for the reply! I was cleaning the SWG weekly. We take a water sample to the Local Pool Store weekly also. Temp was in the low 80s, but cool weather has set in and it's likely down into the 70s. Presently its turned off. We put a chlorine floater in to keep any algae from starting up, but we are about to cover the pool for winter. The plan to go inground was to use the existing hayward pump and filter, but upgrade the SWG. I don't know the size of the new pool yet, but likely pretty small since there are just two of us. We are at an age where less truly is more. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.