Saint Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Sorry if this isn't the right place, it seemed most likely after looking at the other options.

This is my second season with a large pool in the suburbs and so far I've found about 7 dead animals (small rabbit, several mice maybe one rat, a chipmunk) which is about double what I found all last year. All but one were in the deep-end skimmer. I opened about 4 weeks ago (last year I opened about this time).

Most of the threads I find seem to be concerned with disinfecting/cleaning afterwards (I have no CC and maintain my FC, I'm not really worried about that they're not in the skimmers for more than 12-18 hours).

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for prevention. We don't have a cover but we do have a FrogLog that's in overnight ("upstream"/current from the deep-end skimmer). I've thought about leaving the light on but am worried it might attract critters and exacerbate the problem. Any thoughts or ideas? My ladder's not in yet, would that help?

THANKS!

We have fences which seem to keep out the bigger stuff, but typically get frogs and birds once every 3-4 weeks. Since I got a FrogLog I've not seen anything, but I'm only 3 weeks in so no way to know if it's working or not. I have mine a few feet upstream of skimmer, but I feel like things might already be dead before they get there. I should know in a month or so if it's better.

I don't recommend the pool light if you have bugs. We left it on accidentally one night and my skimmer wound up choking to the point of starving my pump. Maybe some solar LED lights around the pool so they can at least see?

Bump,
We'll try adding some lights around the pool area, any other ideas? On the bright side, no animals since this post, maybe that's all I needed to do (i.e. post this thread)

We have fences which seem to keep out the bigger stuff, but typically get frogs and birds once every 3-4 weeks. Since I got a FrogLog I've not seen anything, but I'm only 3 weeks in so no way to know if it's working or not. I have mine a few feet upstream of skimmer, but I feel like things might already be dead before they get there. I should know in a month or so if it's better.

I don't recommend the pool light if you have bugs. We left it on accidentally one night and my skimmer wound up choking to the point of starving my pump. Maybe some solar LED lights around the pool so they can at least see?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.