Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Why would anyone choose a DE filter over a cartridge when building a pool? Is it that much cheaper? Just reading over the years it seems people have way more problems with them.

Sod,

Because years ago the only choice was sand or DE.. The majority of pools were built with DE, so that is what everyone knows..

Here is my story for you...

I have two rent house pools that have DE filters, so when I built my pool I really, really wanted a DE filter. But.. I was "forced" to go with a large cartridge filter, due to City rules that DE filters have to be plumbed into the sewer. This would have been near impossible for me..

Now, well over 10 years later, I can hardly wait for my rent house DE filters to die, so they can be replaced with larger cartridge filters. :mrgreen:

In my mind large cartridge filters are much, much better that the old DE filters.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The PB gave me large carts when I didn't know a thing about anything. For build #2 after moving, it was a non negotiable item.

When he couldn't guarantee he could get the one I wanted during the shortages, I got it myself, before even signing the build contract. Technically I had my large carts and no builder. I'm *that* big of a fan.

Reactions: pjt
Why would anyone choose a DE filter over a cartridge when building a pool? Is it that much cheaper? Just reading over the years it seems people have way more problems with them.

If you have the time and ability to break open a cartridge filter when it needs cleaning then it can be preferred.

The DE filter can be backwashed in a few minutes by pressing buttons, turning a lever, and not getting wet. A DE filter can also have an MPV that has RECIRCULATE and WASTE settings that can be convenient.

There are pros and cons to both.

Pick the one that works best for your situation.