DE returning to pool

They looked good to my eye but I'm just replacing them to eliminate the "I don't actually know what I'm doing" factor.

Ughhhhhh. Replaced the grids, manifold and stem pipe o ring. Still have DE pouring out of the returns. Like the skimmer connects right to the jet basically. I'm at my wits end.

Last edited:
Wow, it’s almost like your multiport valve is in partial bypass. Can you post up a picture of the valve/filter area?

Wow, it’s almost like your multiport valve is in partial bypass. Can you post up a picture of the valve/filter area?
Yes. Here you go.

Should I take the MPV apart and check the spider gasket?

Attachments

• PXL_20220512_103505467.jpg
    PXL_20220512_103505467.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20220512_103501733.jpg
    PXL_20220512_103501733.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yes, can’t hurt to inspect that.
Sorry to lead you down the rabbit hole with the grids but I’ve had that happen as did others and it was stuck in my head.
If you’re getting flow through the “recirc” port, DE would easily take that path.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Yes, can’t hurt to inspect that.
Sorry to lead you down the rabbit hole with the grids but I’ve had that happen as did others and it was stuck in my head.
If you’re getting flow through the “recirc” port, DE would easily take that path.

Nah all good. I was hoping it was the grids too and at least I can eliminate that as a possible cause, assuming I can trust the new grids aren't defective. I'm having a local mom and pop (literally) shop come out today to take a look. I just need to get this fixed because now I'm not running the pump and I can't really run the robot so I'm concerned about algae. Also, I can't use the pool on the off chance it ever gets nice here.

Do you see the DE in the returns only when you add it to the skimmer or does it do this throughout the day?
It's very visible when I'm adding DE to the skimmer. At this point I have the pump off so no it doesn't do it throughout the day. Most of it seems to settle to the bottom.

Right now I turned the pump on and am brushing and running robot with no filters in. Presumably that will kick it up and I can see if it comes out at returns.

When I started the pump up again, it was visible at returns.

So, I had some DE left over in the bucket from last night that I stopped adding when I started seeing it at the return. Because I was running the pump again I thought I would try to add the rest of it because at this point what's the harm in a little more in my pool.

I did it slowly mixing with water and nothing at returns this time. Very odd. There is no doubt when it's coming out it's like clouds shooting from the returns. Nothing right now and it's been about 10 minutes since I added it.

So yeah I'm just completely lost at this point. I'm going to keep the pump running and the robot on so hopefully enough of it can get kicked up and maybe picked up??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whelp after I replaced one of the valves, the MPV, the manifold, grids and the o-rings, I went back to the filter and found that the manifold wasn't all the way on the stand pipe. Which is odd because that's how it was when they opened it, and then I must have repeated it when I replaced them.

So I'm out a few hundred bucks, replaced some of my equipment and have a much better understanding of how all of this works.

Just vacuuming the DE out of the pool now but I'm thrilled that's it's finally working. I added enough DE the first time, so I'm thinking after it's all vacuumed up I should be good? Or should I just backwash and do 80% to be safe

Glad you found it. I was starting to wonder.
That oring should be a very snug fit in the groove of the standpipe. You should have to stretch it to get it on. Use pool lube on it also and be sure the manifold slides completely over it.
If that oring gets stretched out a bit and is a loose fit, it can roll out of the groove and prevent a good seal.
I replace that oring every year.

Edit to add: I just took another look at the pool. It seems to be clearing up more as the pump runs. I know it wasn't all the robot because when I took the robot out last night it was VERY cloudy still. Or is the pump/returns just not agitating what's on the bottom so it isn't as cloudy vs running robot?
We've have a similar problem at a condo pool. My experience is that with the pump running the DE settles to the bottom after a period of time and the pool looks clear, but the DE is just sitting at the bottom of the pool. If you run a cleaner, it may stir it up a bit. The best way to tell if the DE is out of the pool or just sitting at the bottom is to take your brush and brush the bottom of the pool. If DE has settled to the bottom, you will see the DE billow up off the bottom of the pool as you brush it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.