DE Powder/Dirty Water Going into Pool

There may be a small leak in the o-rings in the pipe going into or coming out of the filter or in the air relief valve (the valve on top that lets you bleed air from the system). Do you have any small water leaks in or around the filter when it is running? This leak is where air could get back into the filter when it is turned off and push the DE back to the pool. (it happened to me). When you turn off the pump, listen closely for any hissing coming from any part of the filter connections - this would be evidence of air getting in, pushing water out. Also, are you sure the grids are snugly and securely fitted to the manifold? If not, that gives the DE and dirty water a place to make its way back to the pool. I don't know enough about the effects of a bad spider gasket on the multiport to know if this could be an issue, but I guess it might.

Good luck.

I did replace all those o-rings last week (one was cracked). New manifold and new grids are a tight fit. Could not find any air leaks last night, but I will check that out again. Will try and find a camera to take a picture too.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

_________
Old Anthony Pool, 22,000 gals. American Standard de filter, 48 sq feet

Is there a check valve near the pump? When my check valve failed I could see the DE coming back into the pump strainer basket chamber every time I shut down the pump.

chiefwej said:
Is there a check valve near the pump?

I think you are about the only person I have seen mention having a check valve between the pump and filter. I am still not fully understanding the point of it ... if you have a check valve after the filter. Although I guess in either location the result is the same ... avoid solar drainage water moving backward through the filter.

The check valve was put in by the pool builder and was there before the solar system was added. But yes it does prevent back flow into the pool, as I found when it failed.

Somehow my DE filter is now holding pressure as it is supposed to, and no dirty water flowing back in when the pump shuts off. All I did was backwash and clean out the filter several times last night, and somehow there are no noticeable air leaks, and no bubbles. There is, however, some DE pushing in through all 3 returns when the pump turns back on..... maybe for 7 or 8 seconds. Is that acceptable?

ssocki said:
There is, however, some DE pushing in through all 3 returns when the pump turns back on..... maybe for 7 or 8 seconds. Is that acceptable?

Not normal. You should open it and inspect the grids and the general assemble of the pieces inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ssocki said:
I did have some trouble attaching that to the manifold - as if it did not quite go in all the way. Is there something I should look for if it is not working correctly?
I'm assuming yours is similar to mine. If so, it is just a plastic tube with a screen on the end, that inserts into the manifold. Not much to it...

Thanks for the input Beez .... I think that tube is probably working as it is supposed to - it was new along with the new manifold. I will be taking all of this apart again on Saturday and see if anything looks funny. If it is not working right would would you actually see something? The screen seems to be attached correctly.

ssocki said:
Thanks for the input Beez .... I think that tube is probably working as it is supposed to - it was new along with the new manifold. I will be taking all of this apart again on Saturday and see if anything looks funny. If it is not working right would would you actually see something? The screen seems to be attached correctly.
No, if it's new, it's probably working correctly. When I replaced mine, the screen was totally demolished.

Hope you find the problem soon! I know DE in the pool is a real PITA.

Somehow my filter fixed itself and is working better; DE is covering the entire grid system finally (this was my original issue). A little DE seems to be blowing into one of the returns when I start up, but nothing close to what I was getting a week ago. Thanks to all of you for helping solve this issue - not exactly sure where the air leak was, but it got better and seems to be working properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.