DE or new Cartridge Filter

plabar

May 20, 2017
Twin Lakes
Hi All,
I purchased a house that has pool, 20,500 in-ground. Old house had a 24' round above ground.
My old pool used a Hayward Pre-Flex DE filer. Loved it, I replaced a Hayward Cartridge filter in 2012 and never looked back.

New pool has a Jandy 460 cartridge filter. The cartridges
1) look original, 5 years old - broken bands, seem in bad shape.
2) Jandy OEM - meaning cheap, basic cartridge filter.

So I need to either replace the cartridges or switch out for DE.

I am reading that cartridge filters have made improvements over the last 8 years or so.
Open Flow cores (larger rectangle opening in the core as opposed to little circles)
Better material (polyester as opposed to remmy)
And now Pleatoco has a band less filter Pleatco Ultra or so,

Should I spend the $200 - $250 to upgrade to a higher quality cartridge filter.
Or should I just rip it out and put in a DE?

Anyone have positive experiences with these new cartridge filters ? How do these new cartridge filters stack up against DE ?

Thanks
Phil

I have DE and really like the filtration I get with it. Since taking over my pool from the builder's service and getting a robot, I've broken it down once at the beginning of the swim season. I backwash once a month even though pressures have not warranted it. I feel the life of the DE is greatly extended without all the use flocculant and algaecides from the pool service.

I recall when getting our pool built there were different pump requirements for DE versus other filters so I'd suggest verifying your pump can handle the size DE you'd need.

Everybody has their own favorite. I have a 500 sq ft, dual cartridge. It works great and is easy for me. Some people swear by sand and others DE.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.