Sep 7, 2021
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I've been browsing this forum for a few months now, but this is my first post.

I want to add diatomaceous earth to my sand filter. I spoke to Clorox Pool, the manufacturer of the DE Media and was told the diatomaceous earth must be backwashed out of the filter after 24 hours to prevent hardened flakes that may be difficult to remove over time. I read through Add DE to a Sand Filter, but I don't see anywhere that says it should be backwashed after 24 hours. I was under the assumption that it should be kept in the filter to assist with filtration over a long period of time, then reapplied when backwashed. What is TroubleFreePool's stance on this?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

It will not cake up or anything like that. There are many that do it all the time and some just when needed.. the DE will all come out when you backwash so it will need to be added again after a backwash if you want... depending on what is in your water it may need to be backwashed after a couple hours or after a couple weeks :)

Reactions: taheso1033
Welcome to TFP :)

It will not cake up or anything like that. There are many that do it all the time and some just when needed.. the DE will all come out when you backwash so it will need to be added again after a backwash if you want... depending on what is in your water it may need to be backwashed after a couple hours or after a couple weeks :)
Thank you for the advice. When do you recommend I backwash? Should I backwash after the standard 8 - 10 PSI rise after adding the DE Media or follow Clorox's recommendations to backwash after 24 hours? I've never used DE Media, so I don't know how much my PSI will rise by, but I just want to be prepared.

Clean and backwash your filter and put back into circulate.. That is your clean pressure... we will say 16 psi.. ( Use your actual pressure ) You want to add DE till your PSI gets to 17 and stop adding DE... when your pressure rises 25% over 16 PSI is when you backwash again and start over... 16x25%=4 so you would backwash at 20 PSI

Clean and backwash your filter and put back into circulate.. That is your clean pressure... we will say 16 psi.. ( Use your actual pressure ) You want to add DE till your PSI gets to 17 and stop adding DE... when your pressure rises 25% over 16 PSI is when you backwash again and start over... 16x25%=4 so you would backwash at 20 PSI
Thank you for your help!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Hello,

I’ve added DE Media to my sand filter and my water is extremely clear.

I went to backwash my filter, but water wasn’t coming through the pump. It started to come through the pump while rinsing. Is this normal? The PSI went down to my clean pressure at 15.

When I took a look at the return jets, I noticed a ton of bubbles along with what seems to be white powder, or maybe just high pressure water.

Is this the DE Media coming back into my pool? What are the health effects of this?

I’ve attached a video below, hopefully it works.

Last edited:
I do not have a sand filter so I have never done any of this..

I am not sure how your pump could pump water into the filter and back into itself, there is no way it could do that..

the video looks like air is in the system, do you have a leak somewhere in the plumbing?

I do not have a sand filter so I have never done any of this..

I am not sure how your pump could pump water into the filter and back into itself, there is no way it could do that..

the video looks like air is in the system, do you have a leak somewhere in the plumbing?
Sorry, I meant to say the water wasn't coming through the pump. It was running dry while backwashing, but water started to go through the pump when rinsing. This could be normal, but I'm not sure. I don't believe I have any leaks, but I'll inspect soon.

My primary concern is having potentially dangerous diatomaceous earth in the pool.

Thanks!

If your pump is running dry your water level is probably low on the skimmer.. Water should be 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way to the top of the skimmer...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.