Dana Point, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
One of my Pentair Quad 80 filters separated, the pleated filter material just gave way, sending a lot of fresh DE into the pool.

I replaced all the cartridges (10 years old) and added about 8lbs (of the 12lbs recommended) and restarted the pump. My logic is that at least 4lbs of DE is

When the DE settles to the bottom, the pool is crystal clear, but attempting to vacuum the pool floor has been futile. All the returns are on the floor of the pool and send the settled DE back into the water.

If I just keep the filter pump running for a couple of days, will the DE finds its way back to the filter and stay there? It seems to be clearing up after a few hours now, but wondering if this process makes sense!

Michael,

Keep the pump running and keep sweeping the DE up so that it will eventually get sucked into the skimmer.. another option would be to run your pump off of just the main drain and then sweep the DE into the drain.

I foresee you doing this several times...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Michael,

Keep the pump running and keep sweeping the DE up so that it will eventually get sucked into the skimmer.. another option would be to run your pump off of just the main drain and then sweep the DE into the drain.

I foresee you doing this several times...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Many thanks Jim. Yes - I anticipate a long weekend of pool “fun.”

@michaelbuday

Do you normally backwash your Quad DE filter??? We have been told by several users to just open and clean then once or twice a year works better.

Also.. These filters have a habit of being installed backwards, which is not apparent at first.. Not until a cartridge explodes..

Show us some pics of the damaged cartridge and any part numbers you can find on the Multiport valve...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
When the DE settles to the bottom, the pool is crystal clear, but attempting to vacuum the pool floor has been futile. All the returns are on the floor of the pool and send the settled DE back into the water.
If your system allows it, set your returns to spa when you vacuum.

Well that will teach me not to look at the “guidelines” printed on the box of DE! I should have known better and consulted the operating guide for the filter.

Thank you.

My pleasure. That may also explain some of the additional DE showing up in the pool. Can be a result of overfilling.

Michael,

Did you see my post #4???

If your pool builder used the wrong MPV valve it pushes water backwards through the cartridges..

If you will post the MPV part number, we can tell you if it is the correct one.

This has happened a few times...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.