DE Grid DIY

May 14, 2017
Tampa, Florida
I am pretty handy and I have read a few articles about replacing DE Grids. I am wondering if it is as easy as they make it sound? I have a Pentair 24 FNS Plus. Before cracking this thing open, how do I know what size grids to buy? Also, I have no idea how many gallons my pool is but I'm sure there is something wrong with the grids because powder is coming back into the pool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. -J

There is a DE filter cleaning sticky in the pump forum that might help. It is easy, but tricky to put things back together.

I would pull it apart to find the problem before ordering parts.

Jay,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for those handy DIY pool owners... :swim:

I would make sure of the model number of your filter before ordering anything. If like others I have seen, it will have a label listing FNS 24, 36, 48, and 60.. In theory there should be a mark on the one you have, but often the mark is gone or confusing.

The filter size (length) is half the number of Sq. feet of the filter.. So, an FNS 24 sq. ft. filter, has grids that are only 12" long.. etc... a 36 sq. ft. filter has grids that are 18" long. So once you get it open you can confirm the model number of your filter.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

If you are the least bit handy replacing the grids will be easy. Just look and note how they are in as you take them apart. I think most of these are alike and the youtube videos you'll find will point this out, you'll have 8 or so of them and one of them will be different, it will go in a special spot, just note where that one goes. You won't have any trouble at all with the help documents on here and a quick search on the subject for youtube. Spend 30 minutes watching 2 or 3 videos and you are set. For taking apart, cleaning/inspecting and reassembling allow a couple of hours.

So after I saw Jim's comment I had to go watch the video - pretty funny and a good set of instructions. The only thing I'd in addition to all of the comments is to start with a backwash and it will remove most of the DE and make opening and cleaning easier if you've already removed a lot of the DE and garbage that has collected in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.