DE filter replacement help

Jul 1, 2017
Cedar Park/Texas
I have an old (10+ years guess as original install unknown) Nautilus 48 DE filter that has sprung a leak on the drain has cracked. Tried to repair it with epoxy but although the leak has reduced from spray to drip it still leaks, and I noticed another small leak on the front were the multi valve connects on the rubber part on the tank.

Considering a new replacement and the pool service company recommended that i switch over to a Sand filter as it was less maintenance but still did a decent job cleaning.

I have read many posts around here and most seem happy with Sand possibly with a bit of DE in it.

How often does sand need to get backwashed? I am seeing people say weekly some monthly. My DE filter can go 1.5 months without need for a backwash and a full clean about every 3 months with fiber clear medium.

I am considering another DE filter, Sand or possibly a cartridge filter look interesting also. Can you all provide your recommendation and why? Your opinion and info are greatly appreciated.

The rough estimate was about 1K for the new filter and 2 hours of work at 125 an hour.

I would get a very large cartrisge filter and many folks need to clean them only once a season.

I'm not a huge fan of sand filters, but they aren't 'bad'. As long as your system is designed well enough to function well with the flow reductions caused by sand filters vs the others you should be good. I generally think they are the worst choice though.

Besides the flow restriction, if any problems arise with algae or clarity with sand, it takes significantly longer to clear up than with DE or Cartridge filters.

Depending on the environment the pool is in, I would probably agree with ajw and suggest a large cartridge filter. If you get a significant amount of dust, or if you get a ton of debris during fall or spring, I would want to go with DE.

I have a Quad DE 80. I don't have a backwash valve. I disassemble and clean my filter every four months. I could probably go longer (once or twice a year), but changing my calendar reminder is more difficult than cleaning my filter, so...

The Quad DE much easier to disassemble and reassemble than the grid style filter on my old pool.

he Quad DE much easier to disassemble and reassemble than the grid style filter on my old pool.

Mike,

Getting them apart is not the problem... :mrgreen: The first time I took a DE grid assembly apart, it took me over an hour to get it back together I almost cried... I came within 30 seconds of giving up..

I have two old DE filters at rent houses and just can't wait until they die so I can have an excuse to rip them out and install large cartridge filters.. No more DE, no more multiport valves and simpler plumbing...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I also have a DE filter but would replace with another DE filter when the time comes. This is because I have a lot of tree, pollen, and other organic debris in the pool and the DE filter is able to filter out even the smallest debris. However if debris in the pool was not an issue I would most likely go with a cartridge filter due to easier cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.