DE Filter Pressure Rises Fairly Quickly After Adding DE

DL777

Jun 6, 2020
Usa
28,000 in-ground pool. I have a Pentair 4000 with 8 grids. After adding one half an orange pitcher of DE the filter pressure will rise by 50% within a few hours to 30 on the gauge. Normal without DE is 18. I can run the filter for weeks without DE and the pressure does not increase much. Backwashing after DE is in the system drops the pressure back to the normal value of 18 but it quickly rises to 30 which is high. Will getting new grids correct the situation and allow backwashing to get rid of the DE to the street? The grids are probably 8-10 years old or older as I bought them used not knowing what I was doing back then. The attached photos show one grid that I have half sprayed off and the other is before any spraying. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_081708.jpg
    IMG_20200606_081708.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200606_081703.jpg
    IMG_20200606_081703.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to TFP.

What you describe is usually an algae problem clogging the DE. You need to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm if you have algae in your water.

What test kit do you have?

You said you ran the grids without DE. Did you give the grids a good cleaning after doing that?

Those grids do not look that great. I’d consider replacing them if that’s the clean pictures. They should be a very fine mesh. You could try an acid wash but you’ll likely make the grid brittle (I’ve not done this btw). It looks like there is build up on your grids. The quick pressure rise indicates this also but I’m only going off what you told me. Is the water clear?

Two thoughts come to mind immediately on reading your post
1) They're loading up because of algae
2) You may have wrecked them running them without DE for weeks.
Thanks Richard. What can cause grids to be wrecked if the system is run without DE? I don't have holes anywhere. Is the fibers get too worked and they expand?

Thanks Richard. What can cause grids to be wrecked if the system is run without DE? I don't have holes anywhere. Is the fibers get too worked and they expand?
Imagine getting pelted by high speed sand. They might draw blood. Pinholes. Then imagine the same but with a cushioning layer of DE sludge on you. No skin damage. That's one. Two, particles that should get stuck in the DE instead can get embedded in the grids.

Reactions: DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.