DE filter pressure getting high, but it's freezing outside

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
Should I still backwash and recharge the de filter when it's freezing outside? I'm afraid the water will freeze on the ground when I backwash... I'm also dreading working in the cold. We do have warm days (Raleigh, NC area), but life has us busy with a recent new addition to the family.

We just had another baby (Monday) and I've been a bit diliquent on my pool duties. Pool build was completed mid fall, so I'm still a noob desperately waiting for our first swim season.

What is your clean filter pressure and what is your filter pressure now?

Your signature does not say what type of pump you have.

Your pump should be able to maintain water flow through the higher filter pressure until a spring thaw.

@ajw22 Thanks.

Pump is Hayward Tristar. I think it is 1.5HP (single speed). Clean pressure for the filter is 12PSI. Suggested change pressure for this filter at that clean pressure is 22PSI. This is a Hayward DE 6020. Right now the pressure is almost at 20.

Congratulations! I suggest you concentrate on your new baby and not stress about your pool filter now. Be sure to keep your pool water balanced and reqularly remove large debris with your leaf net. How long do you run your pump, you may be able to reduce your run time until it warms up. Consider using hair nets over your skimmer basket to trap smaller debris from getting into your filter. Better to clean your grids when the temps are are well above freezing.

Thanks. I have it set to 8hrs at night. Evening schedule because that's when freeze protection kicks in most of the time. I've got the skimmer socks and they work great. I noticed that two major bumps in psi occured once after concrete decking was added and second after I had some landscaping (tilling / dirt moving) done

I noticed that two major bumps in psi occured once after concrete decking was added and second after I had some landscaping (tilling / dirt moving) done

That would do it. Thta type of work around the pool gets stuff into the water and te filter does its work and picks it up. You have to expect the filter willneed a backwashing after workaround the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.