DE filter clogs up quick

nv269

Apr 5, 2016
chino, california
Moved from here.
Hello anyone, i know this is an old post, i have one question, i have the same problem and i was very close to calling a pool service because i have run out of ideas, SO, first this is not my pool, my pool has cartridge, much easier to maintain and not DE, the pool belongs to my sister in law, her husband just passed away and was having issues with this pool, i am trying to at least get it going, once is done, she will hire a pool service. so everytime it gets clogged up, i have to clean, and try again until it gets clogged up again, during this process, am i supposed to adding the DE powder, if so, man, i would have get a lot of powder for this, please let me know.
Also, does anyone recommend geting rid off of this DE filter and switch it to cartridge one? mine is a cartridge one and it is super easy to clean, this DE filter makes no sense, i am not a pool guy but it is a pain.
any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you.

First off, my condolences to your sister in law. Can you let us know what type of DE filter your SIL has? The size, the manufacturer, etc. Also, how big is her pool. How does she chlorinate, SWG or manually dosing liquid chlorine? Or does she use tablets (pucks in a floater)?

The post this was moved from an old post where the OP indicated there was also an algae issue, green pool. Are you dealing with that, too? Can you post a full set of test results? Which kit do you or she have?

You do not have to replace the whole DE filter and replace with a cartridge. I had a DE filter at my last house in Orange County, it worked great. I completely disassembled it once a season, removed the grids hosed them off then reassembled. Recharged with the correct amount of DE and was good to go. Here in Las Vegas I went with a cartridge filter which is even easier.

Hi Thank you for your reply, she has a pentair FNS PLUS 48. Her pool size, i am not sure, i know that the deep is about 12feet and when you come in is three feet, right now, she is using liquid. the pool has algae, i have not test to provide until i go back to her house. I understand some of you might be ok with this DE. But you have a cartridge, me too, and believe me, i have no issues with mine at all, this DE filter, you to make sure so many things fall into place otherwise it will not work.
i was wondering from first post if i need to keep adding DE powder everytime i clean it, this thing is not cheap, just wondering.

Thank you for anyone that can help me, as i mentioned on post, it is not my pool, mine has a cartridge and it is salt, that's also a huge advantage, i just want to get her going because if she hires somebody i am sure they are going to charge her a lot.

thank you.

Hello,
i was checking my phone and i did take some pictures of her system. I will try to head out to her home this weekend, i called a pool service and they fixed the leak, you can see a black tape, in terms of adding powder, this one read 4.8lbs, i have been adding five, is this accurate? also, don't really know how they have a filter like this, that powder is dangerous, sorry i just don't like this filter.
thank you again for any information.

Attachments

• IMG_8782.JPG
    IMG_8782.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8799.JPG
    IMG_8799.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 6
it is not my pool, mine has a cartridge and it is salt, that's also a huge advantage
It's only an advantage when you don't have algae. If you did, you'd be just as unable to maintain FC and your filter would clog just as quick. While you wouldn't be adding DE after backwashing, your process of breaking the filter apart to clean it is its own PITA.

You need to SLAM Process and we will hold your hand every step of the way. We also cheer and root like it's nobody's business so you'll make some friends along the way :)

Reactions: kne
A DE filter provides the best filtration but will plug rapidly if algae is growing exponentially.
I have the same DE filter and only clean it one a year, maybe two if the mountains east of me erupt from massive wildfires. I never backwash my filter. 4.8 #s is the clean grids recharge rate, adding 5#s is close enough, my opinion. I do like the individual 5# packages for this reason. Controlling the algae is key.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.