DE Filter Cleaning Issue

Sprocket

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
Central Florida
My DE Filter outlet is plumbed to a pipe that exits to my street. Last time I backwashed, my chlorine level was a little high, and it burned my grass and 2 neighbors. It also leaves a bunch of DE in the street.

I've never opened the Filter and manually cleaned the elements. I've lived here 3 years.

Is it enough to open it up, remove the filters, spray the filters like a cartridge, put it back together and add fresh DE without backwaahing?

You need to dispose of the DE in your filter somewhere. When you open up the drain of your filter without backwashing it a lot of the DE will drain out with the water. Where will that water go?

Then you will find DE caked to the grids when you open up the DE filter. You can spray down the grids and the DE will go wherever the waste water goes.

S,

I have a couple of rent house pools that have DE filters and no backwash valve... I do exactly what you said...

I open the filter, wash the grids with a hose, so that I can lift them out.. I then take the grid assembly apart and wash each grid and reassembly.. And of course add DE..

You can get away with just cleaning the whole grid assembly while assembled if you wish.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

You need to dispose of the DE in your filter somewhere. When you open up the drain of your filter without backwashing it a lot of the DE will drain out with the water. Where will that water go?

Then you will find DE caked to the grids when you open up the DE filter. You can spray down the grids and the DE will go wherever the waste water goes.
Next to the Filter is an area of landscape rock that should handle it. I may get a short length of drain hose, but need to take a closer look at the Filter to see where to attach it. It's a Hayward.

I found the diagram on the Hayward website. Thanks for posting it. I found the drain plug. There was a build up of dirt and leaves covering it.

I'm going to buy a drain hose to attach. I guess a bunch of water and DE will run out when I open it, but once I attach a hose I can redirect it.

I blow off all the DE and junk into my grass; no issues at all.
I drain directly onto my equipment pad and just rinse the excess DE into the grass once most of the original water is soaked in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hosed it off in place as best I could with the drain plug removed. There is a small crack in the top part of the tube on the side, so I didn't want to chance messing that up.
The next time you need to clean, have a new manifold and take everything apart to give it a good cleaning.

Without the nut, the manifold can come loose.

It probably won't on "Filter", but it might on "Backwash".

Thanks guys. I really appreciate everyone's input. I lived with a cartridge filter for 20 years, so the DE is a new animal. For the last 3 years I simply backwashed and recharged with DE, but after burning my neighbor's yard, this was a first for opening it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.