Camarillo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I set out to do my annual spring filter teardown today, which I've done a few times before, but I couldn't get the belt to release. The nut/spring came off like usual, but the tension stayed on the belt since I can't get the T-bolt threads to slide out. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PoolFilterLabel.jpg
    PoolFilterLabel.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 19
Put the nut back on 3/4 of the way. Hit the belt with a mallot to break the seal. If you don't have a mallot, hold a scrap piece of lumber against the belt and tap the wood with a real hammer. Work your way around the circle and increase the strength of the hits. Within reason of course. No swinging hard.

Thanks for the super quick reply (5 minutes!)...I tried that, and the belt didn't budge. I also tried tightening the nut all the way back down, tapping with the mallet, and it still won't release. It is 20+ years old...might it be bent just enough so that the threads can't slide out?

Usually it's the clamp that's just stuck in place so the nut doesn't do anything. You can try hitting the bolt at the end of it. Again, gently with increasing taps but never swinging for the fences.

Also just want to make sure all pressure is released, because accidents happen.

Reactions: nobody291
Ok, thanks, I'll look at it again in the morning. Thanks for the reminder about the pressure, I already drained all of the water out. If I get to the point that I don't want to tap any harder, what's left...a bolt cutter, and then replace the entire clamp?

what's left...a bolt cutter, and then replace the entire clamp?
Well that's the funny thing. I'm pretty sure it's the clamp itself. So you can cut the bolt and then still have the clamp on there. These style filters are stubborn to get the belt right, but when you do, they may not want to come off.

If tapping the end of the bolt doesn't work I would try going after the vertical seam under the bolt. Get a #3 flathead screwdriver in rhe crack of the halves and twist it so the edges of the flathead push the 2 halves apart from each other.

I tried tapping with a rubber mallet and twisting the screwdriver, but it seems really stuck. I think it was damaged somehow, maybe i whacked it with something or kicked it over the last year. I took a top down photo, and then found a photo from 2018 to compare it to. There's a crack on the front side, the paint is now missing, and the top down view looks a bit mangled on the right side.

Attachments

• Front2018.jpg
    Front2018.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 11
  • topdown2018.jpg
    topdown2018.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 11
  • topdown2022.jpg
    topdown2022.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Front2022.jpg
    Front2022.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 12
One last thought from me. The washer is supposed to come off according to the parts diagram. If that's stuck in place holding the bolt somehow, it's basically the nut now. See if you can break it free counter clock wise with channel lock pliers or vice grips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once again, I appreciate all of the feedback....I tried everything suggested, but it just seems jammed. Maybe I over-torqued it last time and it was bent, or maybe it is just old and was damaged somehow? I put it back together and will just backwash again for now, and reattempt the big clean later this year. If anyone has more thoughts or suggestions, I'd still appreciate them of course.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.