Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
NYC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I think I have both a de filter and a sand filter. See attached pictures.
If I'm correct, how and when should I use the sand filter? I don't think it's active but I could be wrong. I'm guessing it's used for backwashing. Don't really know what that means. Except I'm guessing the plugged pvc pipe is where the dirty water from the backwash will go.
I wasn't given any hose for that pipe, and the previous owner gave me all he had, so I'm guessing he never used it. But I did get a thrash can with some sand. Don't know how old that sand. Is it still good? And should I/how to open the sand filter to check the sand inside?
So should I start using it when and how do I use it? AFAIK, the de filter is cleaned by taking it out and rinsing it. Maybe because that is easier than backwashing?

Also, What do I need to buy? Some sort of hose I assume? But I don't see any threads, so how to connect it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_180721.jpg
    IMG_20200910_180721.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200910_180707.jpg
    IMG_20200910_180707.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 17
thanks! I wasn't sure what it was after I saw your reply so I had to lookup what normal backwashing without a separation tank looks like. Now I know the purpose for the separation tank. And now Id like to know how to use it. I know you provided instructions, but I'd like to see someone doing it live. However I couldn't find any videos on it. Anyone have a video handy?

I wanted to know if standard backwashing requires filling up DE again? I've seen videos with all that sand or caked up algea over the grids... is that the DE? And if you take it out during backwash, won't you need to add more? I've watched several backwashing videos and none refill the DE when just doing a backwash/rinse cycle.

I also saw there is a backwash "sock" to catch the DE. I would like to know how well that works. But If I have a whole separation tank, I probably don't need that.

Finally, I agree that I will probably be taking apart the DE filter and cleaning it right. But in that case, wouldn't my filter waste port be going to the separation tank? So I will need to know how to use that tank one way or another. I need to look at the plumbing closer to be sure, but just want to first get some videos on how to use it for normal backwashing first.

I only have answers for one question. Yes, you must replace the DE after backwashing/cleaning.
If it's a backwash, use 80% of what the filter maker calls for, because it never ever rinses off completely. If you opened it up and everything is as clean as new, then use the full amount.

I think that tank holds a bag. That's what the link I posted above implies.

sd,

You need to open the separation tank and make sure there is even a bag in there.. Without the bag, the separation tank is useless...

You can't reuse the DE.. as Richard points out, you need to add new DE..

I never backwash anymore.. I just open the filter, clean everything and put it all back together.. Then add new DE..

To add DE, take a 5 gallon bucket and add the amount of DE needed for your filter. Then fill the bucket with water. Stir into a slurry, and with the pump running, slowly pour the slurry into your skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I dont have the separation tank, but backwashing a DE filter is pretty easy and takes about 10-15 minutes, with most of that time being letting pump run. Here is what I do:

1. Turn off the pump and move your multi valve to backwash
2. Turn on the pump and let it run for 1-2 minutes - Mine has a clear sight glass on the pipe exiting the filter to the sewer so I can see if the water is clear or if junk is still coming out
3. Turn off the pump and turn your valve to rinse
4. Turn on the pump and let it rinse for a minute or so
5. Turn off the pump and turn your multi valve to filter
6. Turn on the pump and add your DE to the skimmer. I have a scoop that will measure out 1lb of DE. Walmart also has DE in 5lb bags, if that happens to be the exact amount you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.