Thatguy85

Apr 2, 2021
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am on day 5 of my slam and the color of the water has not changed one bit. Here are my current readings
TC - 12
FC - 12
PH - 8
TA - 120
CYA - 30

I only lost 2 PPM of chlorine overnight last night. I brought it back up to 12. I have been brushing, vacuuming and backwashing filter. What am I doing wrong? The clarity of the water has not changed AT ALL.

When I started my slam, my PH was 7.4 so I have not added any acid. Should I add some now that my PH levels are a little out of range?

last year I had no trouble at all getting my water crystal clear 🤔

when your fc is above 10 your ph will register false high, which is why slam instructions tell you to adjust ph first,
once you start you cannot trust ph test
how often are you testing and adjusting your fc level
My PH levels were within range before slam, so is it safe to assume they are still in range just falsified from the high FC?
I have been going out about every 2 hours checking the pressure gauge and testing chlorine levels. I’ve hardly had to add chlorine. The first couple of days I was having to add chlorine pretty frequently.

Welcome to the forum.
You have a sand filter. They are the very slowest filter to clear a pool during a SLAM. POP -- Pool Owner Patience

We have seen quite some time. Like a couple weeks.
If your FC loss is minimal, you can try the DE add to the filter trick.

Reactions: Thatguy85
We have seen quite some time. Like a couple weeks.
If your FC loss is minimal, you can try the DE add to the filter trick.
Question about adding the DE.. I just have a wall mounted skimmer, is it still ok to pour it into that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just put the DE in a small container with water and mix it to a slurry. Start with 1/4 cup of DE and see what happens. Be ready to babysit the filter as it can plug off quick when you do this. Backwash and repeat.

Have you tried a deep clean of the sand filter? I remember last year a few people that weren’t seeing progress had tons of gunk in their filter that was prohibiting them from progressing, and cleaning it out was the ticket to seeing progress.

This is my first summer with a sand filter, I’m trying to DE trick to help speed up my slam process. My filter needed about a 1-2 cup of DE before pressure went up. I backwashed as normal. How often do I need to add this stuff? After every backwash?

When you backwash, you lose the DE from the filter along with any dirt, etc caught in the filter. So if you wish to continue to use DE, you have to add it after every backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.