Day 16 of Initial slam, pool still cloudy

gabby.g

Apr 23, 2024
NJ
New pool owners, Hayward 300lb sand filter, about 12,000 gallons (estimate - pool is a freeform shape)

On Day 16 of initial opening SLAM -

Pool started off very green with visible algae on the surface. There were a lot of leaves in the pool initially, we scooped for days. I think there’s a small amount still in the deep end, I’ll occasionally get a leaf or two when I scoop but most of the time net comes up empty. Over the last week there’s been tons of pollen falling in the pool

We haven’t vacuumed yet because we can’t see the bottom, and are afraid of clogging pipes. We’ve only backwashed once, thinking a dirty filter would filter faster than a clean filter

Green went away quickly, within the first day or two. Cloudiness has decreased a bit but we still can’t see the bottom…can almost see the shallow end bottom but not quite. For the last few days I’m not sure that I see any progress, but maybe the pollen is slowing it down

Does this sound potentially normal for a pool that was really bad at opening, with pollen falling in it constantly?

At what point should we be concerned about the state of the filter? How would we know if the water is even going through the filter?

Could ph be causing the cloudiness? I didn’t check at opening, just have been testing chlorine levels and dumping liquid chlorine in as needed to maintain slam level. Should I let chlorine drop below a certain level to get an accurate ph reading?

I’m sorry for the thought dump. I hope I at least included all relevant info. I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and share any thoughts!!

At what point should we be concerned about the state of the filter? How would we know if the water is even going through the filter?

What makes you suspect the water might not be going through the filter? Is the MP valve set to “filter”? A really bad swamp can take a few weeks to clear if you are diligent.

What makes you suspect the water might not be going through the filter? Is the MP valve set to “filter”? A really bad swamp can take a few weeks to clear if you are diligent.

Yes, valve is set to filter

I guess I don’t have a good reason to think it’s not filtering

I came across a post (either here or a fb pool group) of someone who couldn’t get their pool to clear and found out their MPV was bad, after replacing it they said pool cleared up in a few days. They didn’t say how they figured out the valve was bad, so it worried me that could be our issue

Hey Gabby and Welcome!!!!

How are you testing?

How often are you testing?

What's the typical loss on average ?

Any crud on the bottom needs to go, and yesterday. Scooping coming up empty means there no heavy sludge to clog up your plumbing. So vac away. Brush too. Alage grows a biofolm over itself for protection from harsh environments. Each round with the brush or vac removes another layer exposing more. It'll chew through chlorine until it's gone, leaving less to work on the water.

Hey Gabby and Welcome!!!!

How are you testing?

How often are you testing?

What's the typical loss on average ?

Any crud on the bottom needs to go, and yesterday. Scooping coming up empty means there no heavy sludge to clog up your plumbing. So vac away. Brush too. Alage grows a biofolm over itself for protection from harsh environments. Each round with the brush or vac removes another layer exposing more. It'll chew through chlorine until it's gone, leaving less to work on the water.
Hi, thanks!!

Testing with Taylor FAS-DPD kit

Starting off for the first week and a half I was testing every few hours. I’ve not been feeling great last few days so I’ve been testing less often lately (usually twice a day) and adding more chlorine than necessary to be able to get away with that (Adding above SLAM level). When I test I’m always at least at slam level. To be honest I haven’t been notating the results lately so I can’t say how fast it’s getting depleted

We’ve been brushing at least once a day, but will make it a priority to do it as often as possible

Unfortunately my partner feels strongly about not vacuuming until the bottom is visible. I’ve used a leaf eater attachment and it was just ok, but we should probably try it again soon since it’s better than nothing

Ok GREAT !!! If you can't test many times a day, it still works, it just takes longer. It seems the FC isn't getting wiped out, so you have a good chunk in there at all times, albeit maybe a little less than ideal.
Unfortunately my partner feels strongly about not vacuuming until the bottom is visible
You can do surprisingly well if you establish a pattern and do your best to stick to it. You'll miss some, but get most of it. A couple attempts later you'll have gotten it all.

I watched mine go from green to cloudy in front of me when I got the last bit off the floor. It had lightened just enough to finally see the area I missed and literally *poof* a couple minutes later. The FC demand nose dived shortly after.

Take a few swipes with the net to show your partner there's no heavy muck. The light stuff can go to the filter, to be easily cleaned after.

Reactions: gabby.g
My house was a foreclosure and the pool had about 3 feet of leaves at the bottom when I opened it for the first time in 2020. It took me three weeks from a swamp to clear. The first week was spent scooping leaves out from the bottom, brushing, vacuuming to waste, and refilling with water. I didn't add chlorine or run the pump for the first week due to the amount of stuff in the water. Getting the bulk of the solids out first is the most important step.

Additionally, try to open a little earlier. When you are performing a SLAM you are fighting the growth of algae. Algae is much less active when the water is below 60 degrees so it's much easier to fight the regrowth of algae.