Dallas (Southlake) Area New Build - July 2022 - Construction Thread

May 10, 2023

- 24 foot feature wall waterfall installed
- Concrete pad form boards removed and first acid wash done
- Cast stone steppers done and rear cast stone steps done; cast stone waterfall edges done
- Grading and turf prep in process
- Cast stone cantilever trim on fire pit

D985BD1C-8D16-4630-B689-30458DB7D6F6.jpegA79F90ED-B66F-446D-9852-0C42EB394004.jpegC38E4F6A-1499-4482-B11B-3FE8AEFDC430.jpegC471C5AA-C4DD-4EF7-8753-E2252F8C4478.jpeg5F6495ED-0D1D-4D65-8823-A36E4E68C0EA.jpegA87261B4-5856-4057-BBE0-B7DC174BDD5E.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm really curious how they are going to plaster the area between those steps and the water wall. I guess there is probably more space than the pictures make it look like, but I'll still bet that is not going to be fun.

--Jeff

I'm really curious how they are going to plaster the area between those steps and the water wall. I guess there is probably more space than the pictures make it look like, but I'll still bet that is not going to be fun.

--Jeff
I know it doesn’t look like it, but there is about a foot of clearance between the feature wall and the existing step pad overhand edge.

The overhang on the step pad on the wall side is six inches and we will likely cut it back to only two inches - so 16 inches total between edge and wall - if there is too much splash on the step pads.

But yes, there will be some fancy trowel work required even in that foot of space.

Last edited:
I *think* it's goalrilla. That post sat in a box next to my garage for like 8 months and I would see it everyday, I believe it said goalrilla on the box. But now that the box is gone, I have blocked out the memory, I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry - I meant to update the thread, but I have been remiss..,

July 19, 2023

I am told we are about three to four weeks from completion and we will plaster next week

- pre plaster shell prep, cleaning and fittings (this seemed like a ridiculous amount of work over three days)
- landscaping started (beds, retaining walls, fourteen 65 gallon holly trees planted)
- irrigation almost done
- screening fences started
- cabana coming along finally (stucco in process, counters installed, and counter face tile done, t&g ceiling done, shade structure in fabrication)
- t&g ceiling done in existing patio

To dos:
- plaster next week and pool start up
- floor, deck and cabana tile
- plant bamboo around rest of property line fence
- install 9 foot garden planters
- install turf
- electrical, including infra tech heaters in cabana and existing patio as well as cabana appliances
- glass safety fencing
- restain existing fenceIMG_0084.jpegIMG_0083.jpegIMG_0082.jpegIMG_0081.jpegIMG_0080.jpegIMG_0079.jpegIMG_0078.jpegIMG_0075.jpegIMG_0077.jpegIMG_0076.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: elleb and kimkats
plant bamboo around rest of property line fence

20230702_112701.jpg

You sure you want bamboo? This is a friend of mine fighting with his neighbor's bamboo.

--Jeff

Yes we are sure. It’s too narrow to do much else on the retaining wall, especially along the side.

It’s clumping bamboo (alphonse karr) and we are doing a three foot rhizome barrier just in case. The top of the fence in the back is ten feet from the ground and the house in the back is high so we need all the screening height we can get.

Doesn’t look like that bamboo owner understands that you can trim the height and that he/she should do so to be a much better neighbor to your friend.

It’s advertised as one of the more well behaved and moderately sized bamboo. We will see!

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Yes we are sure. It’s too narrow to do much else on the retaining wall, especially along the side.

It’s clumping bamboo (alphonse karr) and we are doing a three foot rhizome barrier just in case. The top of the fence in the back is ten feet from the ground and the house in the back is high so we need all the screening height we can get.

Doesn’t look like that bamboo owner understands that you can trim the height and that he/she should do so to be a much better neighbor to your friend.

It’s advertised as one of the more well behaved and moderately sized bamboo. We will see!
Admittedly, I know nothing about bamboo except that it is an invasive species and that every time I've seen it (photo above and on yard shows on HGTV) it is always a mess. Didn't know there are different types.

Sounds like you have done your homework and understand how to take care of it. It will add a nice tropical feel, I bet!

--Jeff

July 24, 2023

- plaster complete (Finest Finishes Micro Fusion) - they even plastered the floor and walls of 12x19 surge basin completely underneath the slab, which I did not expect - they had to crawl through a 2.5x2.5 hatch in the top. Super impressed with the plaster crew - only took like 4.5 hours once they actually started the substantive work

Acid wash tomorrow, then fill and startup later this week.

IMG_0123.jpegIMG_0125.jpegIMG_0124.jpegIMG_0122.jpegIMG_0121.jpegIMG_0120.jpegIMG_0119.jpegIMG_0118.jpegIMG_0117.jpeg
img_0115-jpeg.516689
IMG_0113.jpeg

Last edited:
July 24, 2023

- plaster complete (Finest Finishes Micro Fusion) - they even plastered the floor and walls of 12x19 surge basin completely underneath the slab, which I did not expect - they had to crawl through a 2.5x2.5 hatch in the top. Super impressed with the plaster crew - only took like 4.5 hours once they actually started the substantive work

Acid wash tomorrow, then fill and startup later this week.

View attachment 516674View attachment 516675View attachment 516677View attachment 516678View attachment 516679View attachment 516680View attachment 516685View attachment 516686View attachment 516687
img_0115-jpeg.516689
View attachment 516690
Can't wait to see this with water in it!!!

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.