Dallas busted valve / pipe but running with low pressure. Okay to do?

Aug 25, 2015
Frisco/TX
Hi all. I live in the Dallas area. I tried to freeze protect my equipment once it looked like the rolling blackouts would never stop.
I put all the plugs back in and turned on the pool today:
Spa_fountain_leak_2021.jpgSpa_fountain_Check_valve_2021.jpg
Inflow to spa fountain was all cracked from valve to check (and pipe between).
You can see the leak at the top of the cracked valve (while in OFF).
It is slow, but I am worried that the filter pressure shows near zero.
Rest of pool seems to be running fine; it's giving me a chance to chlorinate / move water though the system.
What do you think? Should I not be running it?

FYI:
1) My 11 month old Polaris buster pump didn't make it and was pouring out water. It was easy to bypass it via the flexible hoses from Polaris. I am guessing a pro needs to install a replacement / not DYI...
2) I am afraid to check if my heater is working. Should I be? ;)

Thanks.
Jim

Your filter PSI gauge could be busted from the freeze.

If that spa return is the only line broken then it would not cause your low filter pressure.

I would start by replacing your filter pressure gauge.

Reactions: jimmerpro
Jim,

I agree with Allen about the gauge.

As long as water is moving, low filter pressure is a good thing.. My pressure is always about 1 or 2 lbs. and I have plenty of water flow.. Filter pressure is the amount of effort it takes to force water through your filter and plumbing. The more effort required means you have to run the pump faster..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jimmerpro
Additionally, I would tackle one issue at a time. In addition to the filter pressure gauge noted above, did you drain your filter of all water before the freeze? Did you look inside it after the freeze to ensure all looks like normal? I had ice for 2 days after the freeze because it was sitting in corner of garden with no sun so just ensure there is no lingering ice in the filter.

After you are comfortable that filter is operational, then look at the heater. I personally would not turn on my heater unless I knew the water temperature is above 50 degs. (that just me being ultra conservative after a severe cold water event - no data to support that). My pool was 49 degs early this morning as a reference.

If you plan just to replace the booster pump then you may be able to that since you were able to do the bypass. If you want to disassemble it then best to get some good instructions or someone who has done that before.

Additionally, I would tackle one issue at a time. In addition to the filter pressure gauge noted above, did you drain your filter of all water before the freeze? Did you look inside it after the freeze to ensure all looks like normal? I had ice for 2 days after the freeze because it was sitting in corner of garden with no sun so just ensure there is no lingering ice in the filter.

After you are comfortable that filter is operational, then look at the heater. I personally would not turn on my heater unless I knew the water temperature is above 50 degs. (that just me being ultra conservative after a severe cold water event - no data to support that). My pool was 49 degs early this morning as a reference.

If you plan just to replace the booster pump then you may be able to that since you were able to do the bypass. If you want to disassemble it then best to get some good instructions or someone who has done that before.

Hi. I did drain it before the freeze. I did not look inside. I thought waiting for a third day in the 70s would be good enough (probably not smart). It is in a sunny spot.

About the heater; that sounds VERY smart. The water is only 45 last I looked today. My pool is more than half shaded by trees this time of year.

I am thinking about getting a robot cleaner. Last year I paid $575 for the booster & labor. My Polaris cleaner is almost 9 years old and shabby. I have a couple weeks to think about that.

Cheers.
Jim

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.