D.E. or dead algae

Drockk93

Jun 1, 2022
New Jersey
Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well. Everyday I am noticing this grayish looking stuff in various spots settled on the floor of my pool. I just cleaned off my D.E. Filter grids and replaced the top manifold and don’t think there were any issues but now am worried I may have a D.E. Leak. Alternatively, I know dead algae may appear this color as well. When I brush it, it wisps up into a cloud. Below are some photos for reference. I’d greatly appreciate any thoughts if you have an idea what this may be.

Attachments

• IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    829.4 KB · Views: 34
What is your CYA level? Post full test results. Are you using PoolMath?
Yes I have pool math. I just added about 2lbs of CYA yesterday via the skimmer sock method in front of the return jet. It was my understanding that CYA levels won't read properly for a few days after so I did not bother to test it tonight. It was below 30 before yesterday however. I can run a full test tomorrow evening if that may be helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you. Typically takes 24-48 to register. Pool math is fairly accurate with CYA...I'd wait until it comes up to expected results before adding more. In extreme cases, can take 4-7 days. Better to add less than more.

In pool math, make sure you are logged in with same UID/password as tfp. Home page, click the gear. Scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP...we can then see your logs.

Do the OCLT. If you fail it is likely algae. If you pass, likely DE. Make sure your FC is above 3 for the OCLT. If you decide to add chlorine to get it over 3 tonight, run the pump for 30 minutes after addition before the first night time test. Morning test must be before sunrise. :)

Thank you. Typically takes 24-48 to register. Pool math is fairly accurate with CYA...I'd wait until it comes up to expected results before adding more. In extreme cases, can take 4-7 days. Better to add less than more.

In pool math, make sure you are logged in with same UID/password as tfp. Home page, click the gear. Scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP...we can then see your logs.

Do the OCLT. If you fail it is likely algae. If you pass, likely DE. Make sure your FC is above 3 for the OCLT. If you decide to add chlorine to get it over 3 tonight, run the pump for 30 minutes after addition before the first night time test. Morning test must be before sunrise. :)
Thanks for the responses here and letting me know how to test it! I think what I will do is add chlorine tomorrow and then do the OCLT Thursday morning. It is dark and late here on the East Coast. Just enabled sharing with TFP. I really hope its just dead algae. I had a leak at my filter clamp all last year and lucked out on the first try putting it back together this year and no more leak. Hope to not have to open it again until next summer :D

Tomorrow is just fine. Print out the instructions and follow them.

I can see your logs now, only thing I see is a muriatic addition from May 13. Are you logging test and additions?

Reactions: nkotch

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tomorrow is just fine. Print out the instructions and follow them.

I can see your logs now, only thing I see is a muriatic addition from May 13. Are you logging test and additions?
I only use Pool Math to determine how much a chemical I should be added but don't save the log. I thought I need a special subscription to do so but appears that's not the case. I will start logging all test results there.

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. Still no test results but just wanted to share a photo of the grayish matter that my vacuum was able to pick up in case this looks familiar to anyone and gives a better indication on if you think it’s DE or dead algae. Thanks!

IMG_7009.jpeg

Is it pasty or slimy in your fingers...looks like DE to me...
I would say yes it is pasty. You know I’m concerned I may have a tear in a grid which would be a bummer since I just replaced the grids last year. We had the coping repainted 2 weeks ago and I have all these little rust stains on the liner and am finding pieces of steel brush bristles in my vacuum. Could it be possible that one of those could’ve pierced the grids? Only one way to find out I guess.

Reactions: PoolStored
Doubtful the steel bristles pierced the grids but that's not to say you don't have a issue where the DE is getting past. A common problem are the manifolds on top and they're prone to cracking which this can be cause in effect.

Doubtful the steel bristles pierced the grids but that's not to say you don't have a issue where the DE is getting past. A common problem are the manifolds on top and they're prone to cracking which this can be cause in effect.
Yes I opened the filter tonight and checked all the grids they all look to be in good shape. I put the filter back together and is still leaking DE back into the pool. I did not have this issue prior to opening it the first time last weekend. The only thing I replaced which I suppose didn't need replacing was the top manifold since I had bought one last year and figured I'd put it on. I'm about to put the old chipped one back on as I did not have the issue with it. If that doesn't fix it then I'm really not too sure what it could be. The filter is from 2008 so perhaps just time for a new one. Gotta love pool ownership...might as well own a boat!

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Drockk93

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.