Cyanuric acid troubles

Elaina

Sep 11, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hello, all. I am new to TFP and have to ask about the Cyanuric Acid in our pool. It is, once again, high.

1. Do we have to drain the pool from the bottom or can we simply closed the skimmers and use the main drain (last time we rented a pump from Home Depot...not fun)?
2. How exactly do we chlorinate our pool using liquid bleach instead of the 3" pucks from Leslie's?

Thank you in advance for any and all guidance!!!!!

How do you know your pool water CYA ppm, do you test this yourself?

Let us know more about your pool size, surface, sanitation system and your testing so we don't get ahead of ourselves.

Welcome to TFP.

Welcome to TFP!

Please add ypur pool info to ypur signature so that we can better help you. More here about that, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Have a read in Pool School
Start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And here, Pool School - Getting Started

Pool stores and test strips are not reliable, especially with CYA tests. It is best to get a good test kit like the TF-100 or the Taylorw K-2006C. I use the TF-100 and I buy mine at TFTestkits.net.

You can drain the pool anyway that works best for you. Bottom or top. Hose, sump pump, backwash or whatever works best. Closing the skimmers and dousing the bottom drain is fine.

I just added my signature. As I said...I am new to this! Anyway, it is a 16,000 gallon in-ground pool with a quartz finish. We are currently used 3" puck chlorine from Leslie's. I would like to know if there is another way to chlorinate since I have read the pucks can be problematic with regards to CYA. We were told our CYA was over 100 by Leslie's water tester.

I just added my signature. As I said...I am new to this! Anyway, it is a 16,000 gallon in-ground pool with a quartz finish. We are currently used 3" puck chlorine from Leslie's. I would like to know if there is another way to chlorinate since I have read the pucks can be problematic with regards to CYA. We were told our CYA was over 100 by Leslie's water tester.

I was in the same boat as you two weeks ago. Read up on Pool School, don't ever set foot into Leslie's again, and do a couple partial drain/refills to get your CYA in check. My PB set me up with a tab dispenser that caused the CYA issues, and then the crooks at Leslie's kept making it worse with lousy water testing and trying to sell me shock that would further increase the CYA. Two weeks later, my water is perfect, and I just add a bit of bleach daily. Get a good test kit and a Taylor Speed stir!

First things first, get a good test kit and find out for yourself the ppm CYA in your pool. Knowing for sure what your levels are will help you to decide what exactly to do at this point. Trusting others who want to sell you supplies is not a great place to start and free pool water tests are not really free after all.

Take some time to explore this forum and you will be amazed at what you will find out about your pool.

I would consider an inexpensive submersible pump from Lowes or Home Dept. They are not expensive and very handy for draining your pool.

I would consider an inexpensive submersible pump from Lowes or Home Dept. They are not expensive and very handy for draining your pool.

I bought this submersible pump from Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago for my CYA reducing partial drain/refill:

1/3 HP Submersible Utility Pump 2000 GPH

image_26928.jpg

It was around $60 with a coupon and it worked great. A normal 3/4" garden hose screws onto the output.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.