Aug 28, 2018
Uniontown, OH
My CYA is currently at zero & Pool Math says I would need to add 18 lbs to reach my target 😳. Last year I was able to get the CYA to dissolve/disperse by using the sock method, putting on gloves & massaging it in front of the outlet. Took forever, but it worked. This year I’m pregnant & the belly is getting in the way of bending over the pool to accomplish this task. Also, in a few weeks we are switching to an SWG so I will need to further increase the CYA.

Can anyone recommend a brand of the liquid CYA so I can shortcut this step this year?

How is the your water overall? Do you have any FC in the pool? When we see 0 CYA especially when opening the pool, we always fear possible ammonia. What was your CYA last year when you closed the pool? When it completely disappears, it is often because a bacteria gets into the water and eats the CYA and turns it into ammonia.

If you have ammonia, you don't want to add any additional CYA or it will convert to more ammonia. To test for this, add enough liquid chlorine to raise FC to 10ppm and test in 15 to 20 minutes. If your FC is < 3pm, repeat the process until FC starts to hold above 7. That is the process of killing off the ammonia. Then add your needed CYA and go from there.

Reactions: mhk.kohler
When we closed the pool last year the CYA was at 55. However, the pool was drained this spring so my husband could replaster it. We refilled with well water last week with an ecoone filter attached to the hose during refill. Only thing we’ve added, other than some solid CYA, liquid chlorine, and dichlor pucks, was Metal Out.
How does ammonia get in the water?

If that is the case, you are probably ok. Ammonia gets in the water typically during the winter time when a pool is closed and the water is not moving. A bacteria gets in the water which eats the CYA and converts it into ammonia. If you just refilled this spring, I highly doubt you have to worry about this. In that case, you can add CYA to 30 ppm and also add enough liquid chlorine to get you up to around 6ppm. Also, make sure your pH is in range (7.2-7.8) and lower with muriatic acid if you need to using Pool Math.

They seem the same, but when I did a search on Amazon I only found the 2 pack for $61.

Also when you use them, make sure to shake the bottle really well. It is kind of sludgy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.