CYA with Taylor 2005 test kit

Brilis

May 4, 2020
Mahwah, NJ
I tested my CYA and kept adding the drops waiting for the black dot to disappear which it finally did. I was just wondering if you really have to make sure the black dot is 110% gone. So you see NONE of it at all. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: cookie316
Correct - no black dot. Try the following:

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

It vanishes.

You can also try filling to 100 and then having a look. Then 90. Then 80, and so on. Not staring down the tube the whole time helps avoid this.

There's no shame in pouring it back into the mixing bottle and trying again, either.
Be sure it's bright lighting. I do it standing on the patio so I get light bouncing up at me, too, and I hold it just with thumb and forefinger at waist height. Holding it naturally, like a beer can, shaded it too much.

I must have missed the "waist high part". I was putting it right under my eye. :)
I'm curious to know about this also. I haven't heard it anywhere else before here. Is there something documented somewhere on how far from the eye it should be? And I have to assume that if someone with better eyesight than I does the test, they get different results? My guess is yes, but there's no science behind that.

I'm curious to know about this also. I haven't heard it anywhere else before here. Is there something documented somewhere on how far from the eye it should be? And I have to assume that if someone with better eyesight than I does the test, they get different results? My guess is yes, but there's no science behind that.
This is what I do. This is how I calibrated my technique using the 50 ppm CYA standard. When I hold it justcthis way it reads perfect. So I use the same technique with pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.