CYA Too High?

I'm not sure If i should just add in more of the liquid conditioner i have (has seemed to work every year for the last five years)
This is a bad idea. Wait for the reagent. Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until you get an accurate CYA reading.

Have you had the well water tested for metals?

Haven't tested for metals. Well is only used for outside purposes (filling pool etc) so not really a priority I guess.
Other than a short-lived obsession with KISS in 70's, I know nothing about metal. Follow Dustin's advice...
While your pool is bright clear green, get poly fill in the skimmer and see if you can filter out some of the iron.

• Haha
Reactions: Flying Tivo
If shocking your pool after adding well water turns it green, you have metal(s) in the water. The chlorine is oxidizing iron and turning it green. As pointed out above, you can filter the oxidized metal, but it will go back into solution as the chlorine level drops.

Conditioner has no effect on this. It's probably just coincidence that you pool has changed back to blue after adding conditioner in the past.

Reactions: cdogstu99
I'm not sure If i should just add in more of the liquid conditioner i have
Hey! Let's talk about this^^. Conditioner is CYA is cyanuric acid. We add this to the pool so that it can retain FC for use during the day. The reason you drained a portion of your pool is that it was too high. After your drain/re-fill, DO NOT add more. You will be in the same situation as before. We want to drain and refill to REDUCE your CYA level.

The only time you want to add conditioner is if your CYA level is low. You should be targetting about 40 for your CYA level. From 160 CYA, that would require you to drain 75% of the water and refill. Since you took out about half, your CYA will likely be around 80.

No more conditioner until you need it. It does nothing for metals or anything else.

Thanks for all the great input guys. Well, overnight the water went from green to crystal clear blue..so I can only imagine the years of me adding conditioner were just me being a fool. Assuming it is a reaction to metals in the water. So, guess I might explore that further. Thanks all.

I didn't see or missed what you are shocking with.
Some powdered shock has CYA in it, and some has calcium. Be careful in which you use if not using just pure liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.