CYA Too High

Larry21

Jun 19, 2019
Ruffin, NC 27326
Using bad test strips allowed CYA to go to about 160 ppm according to my new Taylor K-2006 test kit. I super chlorinated the 15K pool with 10% NaOCl and a week later the FC is still high at 25 ppm. This was done to get rid of a bad algae problem. The pH is a bit under 7.0 and the base demand test calls for about 2.5 lbs. of soda ash. My question is, if all other parameters are OK, is a FC level of about 16 ppm going to sanitize my water and still not irritate the swimmers? Of course I am not going to add stabilizer and plan to drain about half of the water when summer is over.

My question is, if all other parameters are OK, is a FC level of about 16 ppm going to sanitize my water and still not irritate the swimmers?
Confining myself strictly to your question, yes.

My first summer I was stuck with CYA in the 220-240 range. Hard to be more precise when you;'re diluting things 1:3 and 1:4. I kept the FC up in the 20s and swam around -- without goggles, even -- with no problem. Swimsuits didn't bleach out or anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.