CYA to FC levels

Jun 10, 2016
La Plata, MD
Hi all, Last year I was dealing with 100+ CYA levels. I'm happy to say that through several gradual water replacements, that is no longer an issue. I just opened the pool yesterday. Today I did a test and my CYA is <30. What is the recommended FC level for a CYA of 30? Do I need to raise the CYA a little?

You decision to raise the CYA will be primarily based on sun exposure of the pool during the summer.

Does you pool get a lot of direct sun all day long? If yes, then you may want to bring the CYA up.

If your pool is more shaded and doesn't get a huge amount of direct sun then 30 may be OK.

Yeah, if it appears to be below 30, and as Aimee already noted I would raise it slightly as well. That way you know the FC is receiving good protection from the sun. If your pH is not too low, you could actually use a couple tabs if you wanted. Surprise! You won't hear that from us often (tabs), but in your case for a one-time thing it's an option. Just don't make it a habit. :) Otherwise, simply add a little granular stabilizer to ensure your CYA is at least at 30.

Have a nice weekend.

Sorry all. I forgot to come back here. My water is clear and pretty. Though if I forget a day it starts to get cloudy, after a bit of bleach, it clears right up.

I have a friend with a pool that uses tabs. So maybe I'll just go get one from her to use and see what it does. The pool is mostly in direct sun during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.