Jun 27, 2023
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good Morning,

Im in the middle of a SLAM just over a week and even though my CC and OCLT are always passing still can’t get past that partial green and cloudy stage ( can see bottom of pool but still green and cloudy). So im questions my CYA number. Right now I believe it’s 50. Anyway, I read in 2 different posts about the test where one said first step to combine R-13 and pool water in tube, the “shake then wait 30 seconds”. I also read where it said “shake for 30 SECONDS then wait”. Not sure if that would even make a difference but is there?

1. Put sample in mixing bottle (up to the mark, ~ halfway).
  2. Add an equal amount of R-0013.
  3. Shake about 30 sec; let stand 2-3 minutes; briefly shake again.
  4. Glance into CYA VIEW TUBE, slowly pour mixture in until the black dot is not seen when you glance in. Do not look for the dot. Natural indirect light gives the best readings.

1. Put sample in mixing bottle (up to the mark, ~ halfway).
  2. Add an equal amount of R-0013.
  3. Shake about 30 sec; let stand 2-3 minutes; briefly shake again.
  4. Glance into CYA VIEW TUBE, slowly pour mixture in until the black dot is not seen when you glance in. Do not look for the dot. Natural indirect light gives the best readings.
Excellent, thanks! Question- today where I am is 100% clouds no sun at all. Is it useless to re-test today?

Excellent, thanks! Question- today where I am is 100% clouds no sun at all. Is it useless to re-test today?
If you need to know your CYA then do the test in the best light you have.

Try and do it in consistent light for consistent results. The sun gives you the most consistent light

Reactions: kcassidy0772
While I’m in SLAM, I am gone from 6:30am to 6:30 pm. My wife comes home about 1:30pm during each day. I have her add some chlorine at that time each day. She doesn’t do the testing. Is it better to have her put in more than needed since the next dose won’t be until I get home about 6:30pm? My SLAM level is 20ppm. I can estimate I’ll lose about 5ppm by the time she comes home at 1pm, and I lose even more in the afternoon. So I have her add half a bottle (5.5 ppm) which just gets me back to about SLAM level or close to it. Would I benefit from having her add a whole bottle (11ppm) or does that all go to waste?

You would benefit a little but not much. I would do it personally but it is not a black and white situation.......your choice,

Are you replenishing to SLAM level in the evening

You should see increases clarity each day........even if it is just a little

You would benefit a little but not much. I would do it personally but it is not a black and white situation.......your choice,

Are you replenishing to SLAM level in the evening

You should see increases clarity each day........even if it is just a little
Yes, replenishing every chance possible. With the 3 day weekend we just had been testing and adding 4 or 5 times a day . During work week morning and evening to SLAM level and have the wife adding 5ppm at 1:30. Seeing clarity change is tough the last few days. If it’s gotten better it’s very slight because I can’t tell for sure. One thing for sure the last few days less stuff to vacuum on the bottom the first week. I’m 9 days into SLAM.

Reactions: newdude
Here is current picture of pool. Clarity isn’t too bad but the color still green after a week is disappointing. Feel like the last few days don’t see any noticeable improvement in appearance.

Attachments

• 73860881152__96E7E955-85F0-4347-9F16-54C4732FE419.jpeg
    73860881152__96E7E955-85F0-4347-9F16-54C4732FE419.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Feel like the last few days don’t see any noticeable improvement in appearance.
So the end of slam tests everyone's patience. And. I. Mean. TESTS. :ROFLMAO:

The way I see it you're trying to filter out that last little crud while also mixing. I know what the hydraulics estimates say but I don't believe they come even close in real world practice.

On the plus side, once FC is mostly holding, likely soon, it's just a waiting game. You keep the FC elevated because brushing may expose new layers on the floor/wall that needs to be killed, but for the most part the FC doesn't need nearly as much babysitting.
Hang in there, you're getting close.

So I’m day 12 of SLAM and only have testing chlorine since I started so decided to test other levels to see where I was. Except PH because I know that can’t be relied on during SLAM. Should I treat any of these levels during SLAM or could these not be trusted otherwise. Here are results:

Alkalinity - went as far as 60 drops and color was STILL not changing to red so I stopped. Is this like PH and not trustworthy?
Calcium Hardness- 325
CYA- dropped to 30, originally 2 weeks ago was 50. I added about 3/4 inch of water a couple days ago maybe that brought CYA down?

No need to test anything but FC during Slam. When you pass OCLT, test CC on that test water.
Still a couple things in the process I can’t be sure I understand. One, I actually have been testing for CC’s most days. And through this SLAM process I’ve never shown CC level other than 0. Since I have algae, how is it possible that my CC’s are always zero? I find that to be the simplest test so I don’t think I’m making mistake in testing.

Awesome, thanks for that link. I get it now. The second thing I’m still confused about has to do with when to clean your filter. I have a cartridge filter. My understanding is that your filter won’t need cleaning until the PSI increases about 25% above your clean PSI reading. My clean reading is 14 PSI. Here’s where I’m really confused. My PSI NEVER climbs up no matter how dirty. It only goes down and that’s when something is clogged the filter. For example if I get air in the system when I hook the vacuum up. Or if there are constant leaves falling in the pool which fill up the skimmer basket. Based on this, it would seem I never would clean my cartridge during the season?

The "pressure" items you mention are restrictions on the suction side of your system and will cause pressure drop as you are seeing. Follow Poolstore's advice and work on completing the SLAM with adequate chlorine.

The other issues can be solved easily later once your pool is crystal clear. :)

Filter Pressure Different Then Normal​

• Filter pressure higher than normal, return side restriction (e.g. filter dirty)
  • Filter pressure lower than normal, suction side restriction and/or impeller clog

In both cases, flow rate decreases because of the restriction. The filter pressure behaves different in each case because of the location of the restriction.

Higher restriction in the return path, increases filter pressure because of the higher head loss in the return path even with lower flow rate.

Higher restriction in the suction path, decreases filter pressure because of lower head loss in the return path due to the lower flow rate.

Or if there are constant leaves falling in the pool which fill up the skimmer basket. Based on this, it would seem I never would clean my cartridge during the season?

Suction side air leaks or clogs in the skimmer cause filter pressure to be lower.

Ia your Hayward pump SS or VS?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support