CYA testing

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
Tested today and it's at 50, maybe 60.

When I tested prior to installing SWG, it was at around 50, so I added stabilizer. The test didn't budge - I assumed it's in there.

I tested it a month ago, it was 70. Tested it several times. So, I added liquid stabilizer.

Just in case, I bought new reagent for today's test. I keep everything in a cool dark place. It has not rained and drained 12000 gallons.

Ideas?

Last edited:
That can be a tricky test. I did mine today several times using the method below. While I appeared to be rock-solid at 70, one or two of my tests were slightly higher or lower. But I repeated mine about six times to be sure. :crazy:

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

That can be a tricky test. I did mine today several times using the method below. While I appeared to be rock-solid at 70, one or two of my tests were slightly higher or lower. But I repeated mine about six times to be sure. :crazy:

Just for good measure, I did it, then had my son do it. I'm going to test it again tomorrow. I'm trying to get things setup for SLAM and then let SWG take over. I need to get my chemically enhanced stars to align.

If your water is particularly warm and the pool gets lots of sun, you will lose CYA. I lost about 10 ppm over 6-7 weeks in the warmest part of this year. Pool was reaching 88-89 degrees regularly. So to drop form 70 to 60 doesn't sound all that odd to me.

I know when water is warm, it will test lower. Taylor says optimal temp is 70-80 degrees. I have not read about actual CYA loss due to warm water or weather.
I did run across this one:

Old thread -- but the results were still inconclusive.

I did run across this one:

Old thread -- but the results were still inconclusive.

I'm posting based on my experience with it this year and last. Others on this site have posted similar experiences.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.