CYA Testing Question

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I added stabilizer last night and tested this morning and it ‘appears’ that my level went down. The one thing I can think of is that it’s a cloudy day hear. So instead of having a bright sun at my back, it’s basically a gray day. Would that effect the ability to see the black dot? I sure seems like it. No sun here until tomorrow so just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Otherwise, adding stabilizer decreased my CYA. :oops:

Assuming you're sure you added cyanuric acid, then one of your test readings must be off, or as you surmise, the light made a difference. Frankly, I'm never absolutely certain I'm reading it right. However, like you I'm using a SWCG for chlorine, so if FC remains constant, I don't worry.

It is best to wait 24 to 48 hours after the CYA stabilizer granules are fully dissolved to test for it. It takes time to disperse throughout the water column.

Reactions: pb4uswim
General consensus is to wait a couple days between CYA addition and measurement. Unless you have something consuming your CYA, it should go up after adding it.

Questions: What were your before and after readings? How much CYA did you add? Solid or liquid?

Reactions: pb4uswim
General consensus is to wait a couple days between CYA addition and measurement. Unless you have something consuming your CYA, it should go up after adding it.

Questions: What were your before and after readings? How much CYA did you add? Solid or liquid?
I was at 50 and maybe 60 and I went down to 40. I was sooting for a solid 60 to 70. I added about a pound of solid. Sounds like it will be better to test tomorrow.

A pound of dry CYA stabilizer will raise the CYA level in your pool by 8 ppm. The test, at its best, is +/- 10 ppm. So testing that change will be a challenge.

Reactions: Katygreys
A pound of dry CYA stabilizer will raise the CYA level in your pool by 8 ppm. The test, at its best, is +/- 10 ppm. So testing that change will be a challenge.
Agree, but I‘m getting close to 70 and I don’t want to over shoot. My last test, I was clearly at 50 but not quite at 60, so I thought I’d put in a little more in order to get a solid 60, which I’ve read here can basically be rounded up to 70 and stop there. Of course, the weird thing is that it went down (unlikely). I think it’s the light (lack of sun), but I did not know it takes a day or two before you should test, so I’m glad to have learned that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.