CYA testing at 20ppm

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
As I am going on vacation for the second half of September I am closing my pool earlier than I would like this year. I plan on closing early next week prior to our trip. In an attempt to get the water as cool as possible prior to closing, I shut off the heater yesterday and took a full reading of my levels in prep for the closing process. I tested the CYA twice and both times I could see the black dot very clearly up until the 20ppm mark. I admit that I did not check my CYA very often as my pool was hold the same FC of 7 all summer. However the last time I did check it was in early July it was at 80ppm. This year I had a dead salt cell so I could not switch over to SWG until mid June. I then slowly added CYA until I got to 80ppm. Could I really lose 60ppm in a month in a half time? Wouldn't I have issues with my FC changing even a little under the hot summer sun? I purchased a new test kit this Spring at opening and I looked and nothing has expired. I plan on doing this test again, but I am just a little confused as to what is going on.

It would be highly unusual to lose that much CYA without something consuming it (eg, bacteria). The only other way CYA can drop like that is if you have a slow leak and your autofill (if you have one) is able to keep the water level.

If neither of those are true, then something is wrong with your reagents.

It would be highly unusual to lose that much CYA without something consuming it (eg, bacteria). The only other way CYA can drop like that is if you have a slow leak and your autofill (if you have one) is able to keep the water level.

If neither of those are true, then something is wrong with your reagents.

I do not have an autofill. I do add water once a week due to normal evaporation, unless of course we have lots of rain, and my CC has been 0 all summer. I am also thinking my reagents may have an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.