Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Title says it all. I’ve been testing my CYA lately after all the hose water I’ve added throughout the past month, lots of rain, etc., the dot always disappears just a tad above the 40. Should I just call it 50 to be safe? I tested the same sample 3 times with my back turned away from the sun, tube at waist level, and same result every time. Last summer my CYA was 50 every time I tested it. I know it’s not a big difference between the two and both are acceptable for a non-saltwater pool but I’m OCD and want to know which one it is!! LOL! If you look at my PoolMath logs, you’ll see it jumps around from 40 to 50 because I’m indecisive and don’t know which one is more accurate! ? It’s just soooooo close! ? I don’t know if I’m just complaining or looking for advice lol. Anyone else have this issue? Should I just enter it as 50 to be safe? Thanks in advance!

- Frustrated Float Queen

If the dot disappears anywhere between 50 and 40 you round up call it 50 and move on. No stress.

Fill the vial to 50, do you see the dot? If so, fill to the 40 line, do you see the dot? If not, use 50 ppm CYA. That is because the dot disappeared somewhere in between.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Fill the vial to 50, do you see the dot? If so, fill to the 40 line, do you see the dot? If not, use 50 ppm CYA. That is because the dot disappeared somewhere in between.
I can VERY faintly see the dot at 40. I also have really good vision, so I sometimes see things that my husband can’t (he needs his eyes re-checked and new contacts lol). To him, it disappears right between 50 and 40. For me, I can see a very faint outline of the dot right at the 40. I think I might go with 50 just to be safe lol

I use the glance method. Just glance for the dot. If you stare, you will see it far longer than you should.
Is it easier to decipher the dot during overcast or when it’s really sunny? I always have my back to the sun but some clouds are about to roll in and I wonder if that’ll make it easier? I know this isn’t a huge deal but COVID-19 has given be quite a bit of free time and I’m bored lol

I test in bright sunshine. But that is pretty much all the time where I live!

Best in sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.