CYA still sitting in filter

mizzourah2006

Aug 16, 2020
Arkansas
I am trying to get my CYA levels up to where they should be and I added 8oz to one skimmer and 8oz to the second skimmer on Monday morning. However, I noticed Monday evening it was sitting in my filter. I attempted to adjust the pump speed up to 3,450 rpms for about 15-20 minutes to agitate it a bit and it seemed to work on some, but most just continued to sit there. I read many places to give it a few days to dissolve, so I just let it be. However, here we are on Friday and it seems like the same amount is still sitting in the filter.

Is this because my water temps are low? It's been cold here this week, so while the water was around 60 on Monday it's dropped to 55 now. The filter has a release valve on it. Should I turn down the rpms and slowly open that valve to push the CYA out into a bucket and try to dissovle the CYA myself by warming up that water? Or is it fine just letting it sit in there until it finally does dissolve?

Thanks for the help!

Chilly water could be part of it. But most importantly is that nothing is physically massaging the granules which is why we recommend the sock-soaking & squeezing method. Now that you have the granules in the filter, you have to just let them go their own course. It could take a week or more for them to fully dissolve.

Chilly water could be part of it. But most importantly is that nothing is physically massaging the granules which is why we recommend the sock-soaking & squeezing method. Now that you have the granules in the filter, you have to just let them go their own course. It could take a week or more for them to fully dissolve.
Thank you. Yeah, I should have read here before just reading the instructions on the bag. Last time I do that :) I will definitely do the sock method for the rest. I'll just wait until this dissolves first.

Reactions: Texas Splash
What type of filter are we talking about?

How can you see into your filter?

What type of filter are we talking about?

How can you see into your filter?
Looks like there's some kind of see-through gizmo between the pump and the filter. Photo from build thread:

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.