CYA Standard Solution

Jun 22, 2013
I still have issues with the CYA test. I have the Taylor kit. I recently purchased the reagent, view tube and standard solution from TFTestkits just to compare. The standard solution is 50ppm. It says use it like its your pool water. So I add it to the mixing bottle, then add the reagent... shake.... poured it into the view tube to the 50ppm line, and I still easily see the black dot...

This makes me wonder if I really knoiw what my CYA level is or not.

Am I not doing this right?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add I also purchased the TFT mixing bottle as well...

I did exactly as you did. 78 degrees temp, filled the bottle to the first mark with the "standard" solution (as if it were pool water), filled to the upper mark with the fresh reagent, mixed, waited and then tested. I found in my case with my eyes I measured 50ppm only when I was standing facing the direct sunlight. When I turn my back to the sunlight (as they recommend) I could still see the dot at almost 35ppm. It's a very subjective test for sure.

The lighting is important on that test as slickraft stated. Try being in bright sunlight back to the sun, view tube waist level holding it with your thumb and forefinger to let some light in. And maybe look away wile adding a bit then looking back.

I went to 20 and could still see it

this was exactly my experience. i then checked a pool water sample and got a reading. i asked for a replacement standard from tftestkits. no charge, excellent, excellent customer service. the replacement standard worked fine. still dont know why there was a problem with the standard but problem solved.

dkimble,

AS you can see, I had the very same problem:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/146104-CYA-50-Standard-Go-Bad

TFTestkits is sending me a new Standard (awesome customer service!), but I am convinced that the CYA Standard solution has a very short shelf life (under 12 months) before it loses all CYA. When I first received my Standard, I believe it was right at 50ppm CYA. However a little less than 12 months later, it was at 0ppm CYA. I am not sure when or why it lost its CYA since there was a large time between using it. I am not sure if it loses it gradually or rapidly. This in itself can cause problems since if the Standard loses strength gradually, it will make your pool CYA appear to be increasing as well thus throwing off your chlorine calculations.

If we can figure out the Standard's shelf life, we can then determine when we should repurchase a new Standard to compare. Plus companies like TFTestkits can then mark the expiration date on the those Standard bottles with the caveat that Standards are not expected to stay fresh for 1 year like other reagents.

Ideas?

It does seem like the CYA standard has about a year shelf life. Taylor Technologies used to have each different reagent listed with their shelf life. I can't seem to find that. Now, they carry a blanket statement -Taylor formulates its reagents to remain effective for at least one year, with only very few exceptions (molybdenum indicator in liquid form is one; after four months old it should be tested against a standard periodically). As a general precaution, replace all reagents more than one year old, or at the beginning of a new testing season.
I don't keep anything on the shelf. I order what I need based on past performance, then sell it. I will simply replace any reagent if purchased within the year (sometimes I can figure out the issue over the phone, or I may asked it be shipped back to me).
I get the most questions regarding the CYA test due to its subjectivity. Remember CYA can be measured in a range and there is a 10% industry standard margin of error due to testing differences. Contact me at [email protected] for any issues. Thanks, Rebecca

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
this was exactly my experience. i then checked a pool water sample and got a reading. i asked for a replacement standard from tftestkits. no charge, excellent, excellent customer service. the replacement standard worked fine. still dont know why there was a problem with the standard but problem solved.

I should "clarify". with the view tube full, my standard was clear; dot wasn't just visible, it was clear.

The standard solution came yesterday and I used it today. We have been looking to make the the black dot totally disappear, which it never does with more than a quick look. We have been adding stabilizer to get to 80 and have only seen 70. We never added more since we were with in range for a salt water pool. After comparing the standard to our pool water, we do have 80.

It’s definitely a subjective test, but I know what it should look like now. It’s like my SWG, I keep tweaking it and really want solid detents to select a specific number, not just moving the dial a bit one way or the other. Being close enough will have to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.