CYA sock method question

dhane3

Jul 7, 2019
Merritt Island, Florida
My CYA is not detectable. I have a sock hanging with 3 c. of cya. PoolMath said to add 28 oz. My FC is 2/4. I added 2 cups of 10% chlorine (before I did the PoolMath). PoolMath said to add 11 oz.
My question is, if I need to add 28 oz of cya, and it's in a sock dissolving very slowly, do I need to keep squeezing the sock until it is all dispersed? I just squeezed it quite a bit more than I have been. Do I wait and test tomorrow to see it it comes up? I only have test strips from Walmart right now but hope to order a good testing kit soon. My pool gets morning sun but is shaded from noon on.

Keep squeezing the sock as often as you can to release the stabilizer.

Let it circulate for 24 hours after it is all dissolved out fo the sock to measure.

Test strips are worthless and inaccurate. They will mislead you and you can't judge your chemicals from them. Good luck.

Keep squeezing the sock as often as you can to release the stabilizer.

Let it circulate for 24 hours after it is all dissolved out fo the sock to measure.

Test strips are worthless and inaccurate. They will mislead you and you can't judge your chemicals from them. Good luck.
Ok, I reread some articles and moved the sock by the outflow. I just ordered the TF 100 test kit. Thanks for your help!

The sock will filter out any big chunks of CYA and what comes out of the sock should dissolve easily in the return jet stream. When you squeeze the sock, a small cloud of CYA will be released but it will be dispersed quickly. Mainly the sock slows the release of the CYA to avoid undissolved chunks and potential plumbing clogs (I think).

Reactions: dhane3 and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.