CYA remaining 0 after additions

Jun 25, 2017
Louisville KY
I opened the pool mid April and had 0 CYA. I needed to add 8 lbs, but only added half at a time and retested. It seemed the dot was a little clouded with the tube full so I added the other half. No change. I added 4 more lbs, and the dot is clear as day with the tube full. Could the rain possibly be diluting it that much? We have had a LOT of rain all year, but I wouldn’t think it would keep bringing it back to 0. Any advice?

Add 10 ppm FC, mix for 15 min and do a FC test. If it is below 5 repeat the 10 ppm/15 min drill until you get it to hold above 5ppm.

I finally found something last night about ammonia eating CYA, so did that test. I forgot to check it at 15 minutes, but about 30 minutes later FC was 7 and CC was .4 (I think). I added more chlorine for the night and this morning FC was 6 and CC was .4. Is this fast enough reduction in FC to suggest ammonia?

I opened the pool mid April and had 0 CYA. I needed to add 8 lbs, but only added half at a time and retested. It seemed the dot was a little clouded with the tube full so I added the other half. No change. I added 4 more lbs, and the dot is clear as day with the tube full. Could the rain possibly be diluting it that much? We have had a LOT of rain all year, but I wouldn’t think it would keep bringing it back to 0. Any advice?
Sheb,

This is very weird. Maybe you need a weird chemist to weigh in. @JoyfulNoise Matt, any ideas? In the meantime can you please provide a complete set of test results? Have you added anything other than liquid chlorine, MA, and solid CYA to the pool or cleaned it with any chemical cleaners?

Hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sheb,

This is very weird. Maybe you need a weird chemist to weigh in. @JoyfulNoise Matt, any ideas? In the meantime can you please provide a complete set of test results? Have you added anything other than liquid chlorine, MA, and solid CYA to the pool or cleaned it with any chemical cleaners?

Hope this helps.

Chris
FC 10
CC <.5
pH 8 (took a while to get there, adding MA today)
TA 40
This is my third year doing TFP, so I thought I had it down. I’ve only added liquid chlorine from rural king, Muriatic Acid, baking soda at the beginning, and CYA.

If you still have the CYA container post a picture of it please. I don't remember the brand involved but earlier in the year someone bought something labled CYA that was actually something else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.