CYA recommendation for Tampa Area

Jul 2, 2018
Valrico, FL
Hello all! Thanks for being here. I've read and digested a lot of the pool school stuff here and I've decided to take over my pool care after dealing with headaches from a pool company for about a year. We thought it was best to leave it to the "pros" since it was our first pool and we needed time getting settled into the house. Wrong. I'll focus more on where I'm going instead of where I've been.

My first thought before we fired the company was to watch what they did for a month and mimic that while testing with my Taylor K2006. After testing behind them for almost a month I couldn't be happier that I decided to step up. I'm very familiar with testing. I used to have a bad saltwater aquarium addiction :D

So my CYA was 100. I realize that is coming from the tablets and shock they constantly threw in the pool. I have it down just under 90 now using all the rain and a small water exchange. I ran out of reagent (already ordered a big bottle on amazon) for the CYA test. My plan is to do a larger water exchange tonight to get that CYA down more so I can start following TFP guidelines.

What is recommended CYA for my area? My pool doesn't see much shade but it is screened in.

Since you are not a salt (SWG) pool, I'd recommend bringing the CYA down to about 40-50. That's assuming the water is crystal clear with no signs of algae. If you do have algae, you could bring the CYA a little lower to save on bleach for a SLAM Process to clear that algae, but if that's not a concern the 40-50 range should be good.

By the way ..... WELCOME TO THE TFP FORUM! :wave:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Thanks Pat! Pool is pretty clear right now. I think it will be even better when everything is in harmony. I don't believe it's algae (yet). Our D.E. filter was an absolute science project even though it was checked off as being maintained. After I get this CYA under control I'll get test results so you guys can help steer me. My next big task is estimating my volume on my kidney shape plus hot tub pool. I love calculators and can't wait to be able to use the one here.

I've got my CYA down to 60. Can anyone help me get the rest of my stuff on track? My CH seems a bit low. Here's a full test I just did. Pool was slammed almost 2 weeks ago until it passed OCLT. Only took a couple days.

PH 7.6-7.8 (had a problem making a decision with the available lighting)
CYA 60 (gradually working on getting this closer to 50)
FC 6 (added chlorine after tests to get back to target of 7-9)
CC 0
TA 80
CH 200

Thanks,

Phil

Nice work! Go swimming!

The CYA will likely drift down on it's own over the season but you are not harming anything with 60.

CH will probably rise on it's own, also

All your other numbers are VERY good. I assume you are doing your own testing?

Yep. I've already had to buy refills for my taylor kit. I just wanted to make sure my CH being a bit low isn't a problem.

I had to do a bit of a water exchange to get CYA down to 60. I'm letting all this rain get it down a little further. I'm not stressing about this.

My wife likes to keep what I call a "hot pool". Temp is usually 90. Should this be taken in consideration when looking at the levels I'm trying to maintain?

Hey Phil, I’m also in Tampa; however, my pool is salt water chlorinated. I try to maintain my CYA at 80 and the salt chlorine generator keeps the FC around 8. My wife also likes to keep a hot pool - we are always around 90 (89 these days without any help from the heater). As others have said, plug the numbers into Pool Math and keep an eye on the CSI. The calculator will tell you the warnings of having too low or high CSI. I’m usually wavering around the +.2 to -.2 as my pH drifts slowly up. A quick MA adjustment a couple times a week keeps me “balanced”.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.