CYA reads about 110. Does that mean I need to empty half my pool to get it down to SLAM range?

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
Hey all,

Second post here so I apologize for the lack of info. I'm a first time pool owner and trying to tackle a green pool. I decided to test all my levels before starting and realized my CYA was 100+. I performed a diluted CYA test and it was about 110. Now does this mean I need to drain half my pool to get it down to that 30-60 range so I can begin the SLAM process? Seems like a heck of a lot of water and a lot of money lol...

During the drain process, I guess it might be a good idea to start brushing the walls of the pool?

If you exchange half the water, your CYA of 110 would go down to around 55-60 or so. Much more ideal for the SLAM Process. If you look at the FC/CYA Levels you'll see the higher the CYA the higher the required SLAM FC level. With today's cost of liquid chlorine/regular bleach, exchanging some water would probably be best.

You are in the same situation I was in when I found TFP (my experience is linked below in my signature). A drain and refill is the solution but first consider the groundwater situation under your pool, your pool type, your fill water source and any regulations related to pool draining. Make a plan then gear up and get started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.