Salt Lake City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Is there anything that would be consuming CYA? When I opened the pool this year, tests were showing very little CYA. I figured it had just been consumed/degraded over winter. I added 14lbs of dry stabilizer, which should have increased my CYA to 42. I have been struggling keeping my chlorine levels up, which I'm assuming is related to my CYA levels. When I tested CYA this morning it basically looked like it was at 0 again (water in the tube was pretty clear even when completely full). I'm planning on adding 10 lbs, and I'll see where that gets me. Is there anything that could be causing this?

Last Levels:
FC: 2
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
CYA: 0 (10 maybe??)
TA: 130
CH: 375
Temp: 88

It was added mid-May, so it has been several weeks. Added with the sock method. Took a day or two to fully dissolve. My re-agent is about a year old. I forgot to mention that - I was going to ask how long that will stay good for. May just need to get some new reagent.

I should also add, a few days after it was added it seemed to be around 30. The water is definitely much clearer now in the tube than it was a couple weeks ago. (maybe goes back to reagent being bad??)

If anything “consumed” CYA (ie, bacteria), then you would have an ammonia problem and you would see FC loss.

Question - are you absolutely sure your pool doesn’t have a leak? Is your auto fill running a lot? Are any other chemical levels like salt or CH decreasing?

Yes, I'm sure there's no leak. Auto-fill isn't actually hooked up yet, and I'm losing an inch or so every couple of weeks though evaporation and splashing out.

Salt and CH levels have been stable. Last year I was running my SWG at 20% and maintaining levels fine. This year I've been running at 80%, and it's been hard to keep FC above 4. I may have been fighting some algae or something, the pool was a little cloudy, and just in the last couple of days got very clear like I was used to last year.

What brand of stabilizer did you use?
Can you add what test kit you are using to your signature?

I would consider the following:
- Order some fresh R-0013
- Increase your FC with liquid chlorine to about 5-7 ppm for the rest of the day.
- Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test this evening.

The CYA brought you here, but it also sounds like some post winter organics may be an issue.

@mknauss - I used a few pounds of stabilizer I got from Leslies last year, then some clorox brand conditioner.
I have the TF-Pro with Salt test kit. I'll update my signature.

@Texas Splash - Good ideas, and you sound like you may be right. Can algae/bacteria consume CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can algae/bacteria consume CYA?
It can, but there are usually other indicators like not holding any FC at all, or the pH crashing very low. Not seeing that right now, but you never know. Weird things can happen after winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.