Cya packets

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I just went to wal mart to get cya. The packaging for the Clorox stuff is not bottles anymore. Bags. Just so you all know so u don’t start to panic like I did since everywhere else is closed.
But they had something new. Packets u put in skimmer basket. I was tempted to buy them but didn’t know if I should. Would be nice to throw a few in and be done with it vs the sock setup method.
Anyone see them. They r from hcn or whatever that brand they carry is.

They were reported last year on the forum. Only issue is the bag dissolves very quickly putting the powder into your filter prior to dissolving. Still best to put them in a sock. If you do not, wait a full week prior to testing the CYA level.

They were reported last year on the forum. Only issue is the bag dissolves very quickly putting the powder into your filter prior to dissolving. Still best to put them in a sock. If you do not, wait a full week prior to testing the CYA level.

ok I’ll stick with the proper method. How many days again to check? 5 days of in front of return in sock.

I used the packets last season and had the same issue as others....the outer packet dissolved too quickly. I ended putting them in a sock anyway. I do like the convenience though. With pre-measured packets, and the knowledge of how many packets are needed to raise the CYA x- amount for your gallonage (theres a chart on the package), there's no need to guess or measure out cya product before pouring it into a sock. Grab 3 packets (for ex.), put them in a sock and you're done. Faster and neater. And for me, the CYA boost was fairly accurate to what I was shooting for.

I wouldnt be surprised if pre-measured packets becomes the next big marketing trend for all the other magic pool potions out there as well. Touting PH Down or Alkaline Up packets as "NOW FASTER AND SIMPLER!!" is a very effective way to get people to buy something they didnt need in the first place.?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.