CYA Levels

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
The CYA level in my Gilbert AZ pool has crept up to 90. I tried to keep it around 80 during the summer to help stabilize the chlorine. The water was new last December and although I’ve been using liquid chlorine, I did revert to tabs for three weeks while out of town.

Do I need to dump water to bring the reading down or will it drift lower by itself during the winter? I did replace about 25% of the water once during the summer. Is it really more costly to maintain a chlorine level around 7 rather than 5 considering the small amount of chlorine that is lost in the off-season?

The CYA level in my Gilbert AZ pool has crept up to 90. I tried to keep it around 80 during the summer to help stabilize the chlorine. The water was new last December and although I’ve been using liquid chlorine, I did revert to tabs for three weeks while out of town.

Do I need to dump water to bring the reading down or will it drift lower by itself during the winter? I did replace about 25% of the water once during the summer. Is it really more costly to maintain a chlorine level around 7 rather than 5 considering the small amount of chlorine that is lost in the off-season?
Did your CYA decrease as expected?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.