CYA Levels

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
The CYA level in my Gilbert AZ pool has crept up to 90. I tried to keep it around 80 during the summer to help stabilize the chlorine. The water was new last December and although I’ve been using liquid chlorine, I did revert to tabs for three weeks while out of town.

Do I need to dump water to bring the reading down or will it drift lower by itself during the winter? I did replace about 25% of the water once during the summer. Is it really more costly to maintain a chlorine level around 7 rather than 5 considering the small amount of chlorine that is lost in the off-season?

ping

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Leave it alone as it will lower this winter. The pool shouldn't be using much chlorine at this time of year and it will only use less as the water cools more.

mkfe47

Feb 10, 2018
Waddell, AZ
The CYA level in my Gilbert AZ pool has crept up to 90. I tried to keep it around 80 during the summer to help stabilize the chlorine. The water was new last December and although I’ve been using liquid chlorine, I did revert to tabs for three weeks while out of town.

Do I need to dump water to bring the reading down or will it drift lower by itself during the winter? I did replace about 25% of the water once during the summer. Is it really more costly to maintain a chlorine level around 7 rather than 5 considering the small amount of chlorine that is lost in the off-season?
Did your CYA decrease as expected?

Other Threads of Interest