Harrisburg,PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After getting all the new equipment up and running I found the CYA level to be 50. Current water temp is 58 with air temps in the mid 60's to low 70's.

I see the recommended CYA level is higher than that. With little risk of an algae bloom this time of year how urgent is getting it up? Will a week or two be a problem? I will place an order today but won't be able to get it in the pool immediately.

When I do put it in what is the best way to dissolve it, and should I turn off the salt cell while doing so? Another option would be to use up some of the trichlor pucks I have in a floater but that will take even longer.

Don't panic about your CYA level. If you continue to maintain the proper FC/CYA Levels, you'll be fine. It's still early in the season and you're in a northern climate, so there's not a big rush.

Here is how TFP recommends to add CYA:

"Solid/granular CYA should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. If suspending near a return jet, ensure the sock cannot rest against the pool surface since the granules are acidic and could potentially discolor the surface. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. After soaking for about 30 minutes, squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock."

I prefer using nylon knee-highs in the skimmer with less than 2 lbs. of CYA in each.

Tablets are fine to use, but they are slow. If you decide to use them, make sure you monitor pH as they are acidic.

There's no reason to shut down the SWG while adding CYA.

Reactions: Mdragger88
CYA 50 is fine until you get more. Especially in PA. You don't have the intense sun the SouthWest folks have.

Just crank up your IC40 % to have more then your minimum FC level at sundown.

Regardless of temps you want fc to stay well above minimum (preferably target range) for your cya
See—> FC/CYA Levels

Before increasing cya to swcg ranges do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out anything brewing. As a SLAM Process is much easier to accomplish at lower cya levels.

Once that’s out of the way you put the prescribed amount of cya that PoolMath says it will take to reach your target into a sock, tie the end & hang it infront of a running return not touching the pool wall. Squeeze the sock to dissolve the cya.
You can also sit the sock in the skimmer a little while until it get squishy then go squeeze it infront of a return.
You don’t need to turn the cell off.
Be sure to dose to your new target range for your new cya level with liquid chlorine & set your swcg to maintain that level.

Please fill out your signature with all your info