CYA level too high

lakeboater

Bronze Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Naples, FL
My pool company added CYA to my pool yesterday. When I tested the water I measured 90 to 100. I called the pool company and was told that CYA will spike after addition, then settle out over a few days. Is this correct? They had a record of the addition and felt it was the correct amount.

Then some of it may be stuck in the filter. Turn off the pump and clean the filter. It may or may not make a difference.

Test the CYA tomorrow and if still high, drain enough water to get it in range.

The pool tech supervisor came out, measured 75 for CYA and admitted that was high, but not a critical level. I kept the pump off this morning to reduce any further dissolving and anticipating a filter cleaning. Fortunately he suggested cleaning out the filter(so I didn't have to start an argument) which was full of stabilizer.

The thing that surprised me was that the FC reading went from 3 to 9.5 with the added stabilizer. I thought the tech had added the CL yesterday, but the supervisor said that was the effect of the CYA??

With summer sun and rainy season on the way, hopefully the CYA level will drop relatively soon. At least they tend to run the CL high...I realize that is necessary with the higher CYA.

How did this person test your CYA?

Good you cleaned out the filter. Just be sure to keep your FC in Target Range for the CYA level you test at.

The CYA protects the chlorine your SWCG is adding to the pool. I doubt it jumped that much in a day. The SWCG can add 9 ppm FC to your pool if run 24 hours at 100% setting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.